Today is of the Cycle Of The Seventh Moon.
Current Season & Month:  , Year: 543 A.R. (ref)

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

When may one add additional characters?

Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Might I ask when it is deemed appropriate to add another character or two?   I've not been back long, and don't want to appear "greedy" by prematurely creating additional characters.  I have a couple of ideas swirling around in my overactive mind, just dying to break loose.  Thanks!

"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.” Dr. Seuss.

Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

Hi Calan!

Speaking as a player/writer and not as a Mod (since I m not!) - I think the answer is “It depends.”

Some writers here seem to have a few go to characters tied to their original screen names.  I have a few: some have been on short term use, characters to interact with; others for the purpose of companionship (when I started again here here was only one story going and it wasn’t in the area I started. So I created as I went along and Baoun the Cat became one too.  As other players started in the area, I made a few to help their stories, like the Jackdaw or The Lady of Broken Bones.

The last group of characters I would run would be to make areas feel ‘lived in’ so they don’t feel so abrupt when the story eventually reaches them. 

So far no one’s complained and no one asked me to stop - in my opinion is gives the early world more fabric.

There are probably official rulings - If it’s not disruptive, why not try it?

Duilliath Suilleach Seanake, Fool and the Traveler Who Lost a Kingdom

ReplyQuote
Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@duilliath   Thank you, Duilliath, for the response.   I appreciate your opinion, and it makes sense.   I may wait for a consensus and a mod or two to offer advice as well,  post a few more times on my fledgling storyline, and see what the majority say.   I think common sense plays a big role here.   I would not be flooding the character pages, I promise.  🙂 

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

@calen I think that’s wise. See how your story ‘feels’ and go forward judiciously.

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@founder)
Overlord Admin

See this quick reference at the bottom of this page.

“Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

ReplyQuote
Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Well, you are the perfect image of an Overlord;  mysterious and cryptic.   😊   I am going to take the Tolkien quote as a "sign" that I may carefully add a character when needed to "carry on the story."   I need one or two more characters to get Calen moving and eventually meet up with other players.  There are none in my starting area at the moment.   My goal is to get others involved as we acquire more players, and to also join in others' storylines.   Thank you.  And as Duilliath said; I shall move forward judiciously.  ty both.  (Throws kisses)

ReplyQuote
Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Yes, its me again with another question, and feeling like a dunce.   In order to add another character, do I simply use the same form I used for my first character, Calen, when I first joined Worlde Arcane?   Or is there another form I've yet to find, for subsequent characters?   

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

@calen I don’t think that’s been tried yet.

The official advice I received was to use the quotation function to identify who is ‘speaking’ as in:

The Jackdaw 

Calen liked
ReplyQuote
Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Ah so, grasshopper!   For some reason I thought each additional char would have a regular "citizen" page of their own, with a picture, bio, strengths, weaknesses.   I'll have to give this some thought. TY again.   (I become very fond of my characters and like to flesh them out and add a picture usually.)  I'll see how the quote system works for me.  I see an "attach files" option here for a pic perhaps?   Ah yes, I tried it, it works. I think with the quotes and pic attached, it will work nicely.   You are a great resource, Duilliath!!   

Duilliath liked
ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

@calen You can certainly create a profile for them under the various Racial Categories.  I have created some bestiary entries and some accompanying character pages… Baoun, Duilliath’s Not-a-Cat has his own page under characters.  

Talan, I think, created an entry for a local NPC.

There’s a lot of functionality you can learn by trial and error 🙂 

Have fun and join where you want to.

Duil

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@founder)
Overlord Admin

Bottom of this page https://mysteryandmagic.com/warc/community/quick-start-guides/starting-out-first-things-first/   explains additional characters.  In general, I am not adding multiple player accounts at this time.

“Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Duilliath liked
ReplyQuote
Calen
(@calen)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@founder   Got it!   Thank you for the further explanation.   I'm afraid my enthusiasm got the better of me, and promise not to petition for additional characters until I've been back longer and earned it.  I am content.   😊 

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: