Today is of the Cycle Of The Seventh Moon.
Current Season & Month:  , Year: 543 A.R. (ref)

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Learning curve

Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@kabrin sorry! Have since looked up Chug and realise my mistake now. Thank you for the tips though. I realise this may sound stupid but: if I had stopped at the point where Pioloss crushed his tankard..? I am more than happy to edit if that would work though I realise the damage may have already been done! Apologies again, am super new to this!

Kabrin
(@kabrin)
Noble Noble

No worries.  Its all part of the "learning curve".  We've all been there.  You write well, you'll get the hang of it soon. 

I've been meaning to get a description of Chug up, just haven't had time to do it, but will soon.

ReplyQuote
Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@kabrin ha, yeah I figured I might be using this thread or a similar one at some point again in the future...

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

Don’t beat yourself up over it, any new system takes some getting used to.  

I’m sure there are learner mistakes all around :). Happy travels

Duilliath Suilleach Seanake, Fool and the Traveler Who Lost a Kingdom

Pioloss liked
ReplyQuote
Baldor
(@cthulon)
Noble Noble

Just an FYI , I'm expecting a small party to start an adventure beginning at the Seven Oaks in next week or two...

ReplyQuote
Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@cthulon thanks! Good to know. May try and bumble around the area for a bit until then in that case.

ReplyQuote
Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@founder Thanks for sorting that re: Seven Oaks Mile! Apologies, it did actually occur to me that I should have done something like that but RL got a bit crazy! Just so I'm clear though: Do I start a new thread in the appropriate area every time Pioloss moves from place to place? And if so is there a way to keep the thread of the story continuous? 

ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

@pioloss, generally, yes. The Lorimar is a bit of a conundrum, though, because it is a linear series of lands that connect to other lands. Each section of the Lorimar already has a description written, so it can be confusing what to do. Here's what I suggest:

Within, say, the Lorimar 15: The Seabreeze Road, start a new journey with a post like this:

Upon The Lorimar

The road is wide and hard-packed, wending it's way beside the dunes. Frequent showers keep down the dust, and travellers are treated to views of the sparkling Vericule when the weather is fair.

Then post again in the same journey with your character's actions (or an npc if u wish), like this:

Herbie The Wicked Cool Guy

Herbie dragged his waterlogged carcass from the briney deep. "That were a roight foin swim, if'n I does sez so, meself" he said aloud, though only the seabirds were around to listen.

Because the worlde is somewhat empty at the moment, you have the opportunity to create the premier journey for many lands. If you write it well, it may be used by many other adventurers later. 

Likewise, when you get to a occupied area, feel free to jump into existing journeys if they fit your needs. if they don't, then also feel free to start a new journey.

If you carry on writing journeys like:

Herbie's Roit Foin Swim

Herbie emerged from the water fully refreshed and covered in jellyfish.

Then that's fine, but others probably won't use your journey when they pass through the area, and your character's earlier adventures will fall into obscurity.

So I recommend approaching each area with the idea of writing a scene or location others will enjoy reusing, if you want your story read and reread. 

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@founder)
Overlord Admin

@pioloss travel is one of the most confusing things to learn.  Because this is a bulletin board system our minds tend to think linearly but the game is played horizontally across a virtual game map.  Please read through the Mechanics of Play again, the second paragraph explains the travel process in a nutshell.

You need to do a little planning.  For instance, your character just left Seven Oaks, but where is he going? Then you need to plan how to get him there, otherwise you will be spending weeks or months on the Lorimar Road (believe me, thats happened before.  At the bottom of this page is a paragraph on travel)  There are various opinions on how travel on the Lorimar should be done.  But say your character is heading to Terajin, then you could OCC Enter post on the Seven Oaks Mile, then OCC Exit, then OCC Enter Post on the Terajin Mile, before finally OCC exiting to a location in Terajin.  Please note your plans could get distracted by weeks or months by new players wandering in or NPCs poppling up. (This page discusses the use of OCC.)

There are also references to travel in the Rules of Play and giving other characters opportunity to post

The difference between WA and one long storyline post is that your storyline will be broken by OCC's, which tells your readers how to follow you, or other players how to find you, as you travel from one location in the land to the next.

Irihi is right, the lands are recently reopened and the world is somewhat empty at the moment which is why it was suggested that players new to freeform and WA might be better served by traveling with a group to get the hang of it.

“Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

ReplyQuote
Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@founder and @irihi, thank you both for all of the help! 

It certainly is a lot to take in, but having re read the links above things are starting to click into place.

@irihi, I hadn't thought of that aspect of writing scenes at all, but it certainly adds a new dynamic now to keep in mind! My main reason for starting here (other than because it sounded like fun) was to try and improve on my writing, which has been a kind of secret hobby for the past year after a lifetime of being an avid fantasy reader. 

@founder, on the subject of where Pioloss is going I honestly have no idea at the moment! I have generally found myself to be more of a start writing and see where the character leads me kind of guy, but my main aim in Worlde Arcane has just been to collaborate with others and Seven Oaks Inn seemed like a reasonably good place to start! (Also the Worlde is huuge and the handy map of the lorimar road looked appealing and like it would offer several different opportunities somewhere down the line.)

Again, thank you to everyone for all the helpful tips and pointers over the past week, it is much appreciated and apologies for being what I am sure is the very epitome of a clueless newbie! 

ReplyQuote
Baldor
(@cthulon)
Noble Noble

@pioloss  - If you make your way back to the inn, get a drink, maybe a good meal and ruminate for a bit. If you choose to join us, eat slow, the rest of the party will show up soon.

ReplyQuote
Pioloss
(@pioloss)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

@cthulon will do, thanks. Not sure of the reception Pioloss will get there but was actually already working on just that 

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: