Today is of the Cycle Of The Seventh Moon.
Current Season & Month:  , Year: 543 A.R. (ref)

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Ice Caves Under Duskhill & the Surrounding Caverns

Page 1 / 2

Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Patron Saint of Hawtbois, Catboys, & BAMF Babes Noble
Journey starter  
BB1cMxmD

The Ice Caves Under Duskhill & Surrounding Caverns

The numerous cateracts and waterfalls and flowing streams have to empty out somewhere, and that somewhere is most likely to be a system of interconnected Ice Caves found underneath Duskhill and The Surrounding Caverns.  If one were to be unfortunate enough to topple over the edge of a cateract or fall down a waterfall, they would find themselves dumped into the icy waters of the main river that cuts a winding path through the many of the frozen caves below.  The river's current is gentle overall, but there are some areas in which it speeds up considerably.  The stretches with fast moving currents are often the most dangerous, with the main body of the river often splitting apart to flow through ice tunnels or rush beneath ice walls, before the two parts join back up, somewhere downstream as the current gradually slows.

Should one survive not only the fall into the frigid river, but also the below zero temperature of its icy waters, they will still have to navigate through the ice caves and avoid freezing as they cross over the frozen ground.  The walls, floors, and ceilings of most every cave in the system are slick and smooth with least a foot or more of frozen ice that gives off a soft glow.  It lends the caves a cold sort of beauty, but also means the temperature always remains somewhere below zero.  If hypothermia can be staved off long enough to find them, there are a handful of passageways which lead back towards the caverns up above.

TOM-CAT: [KIANA BEACH:First Stab - POUNCE (★1/2) - WATCHER BATTLE (34/5/6/★7)] [GOBLIN EXTERMINATION (1)-(☆1/2)] – [ICE CAVES: Cliffhanger (★1/2) -PowderKeg (★1/2/3) - Hypothermia (4/5/6) - Imprint (7/8/9/)] [SUNSTEALER:(1/2/3/4)-(1/2)] –Miiya & Cat-Tom [SPARRING:(1/2/★3)] - ☆The Great Tipsu Hunt! - ☆Stolen Kiss Overwhelmed by Intimacy Returning to Her Bath Time Bonding Wings, Tails, & Love Cave Storms Climbing the Walls 1st Kiss Makeouts & Memories Laughter & Kisses Eros & Hormones Cat-Tom: Rescue Kitty! Cat-Tom vs. Skaven (Forced) Shift Back 9 Lives A Beast in the Darkness Reuniting w/Teleskela Bored Nihilism Cat vs. Dragon Emotionally Exhausted Bath Catboy, Interrupted All For Her Bellissimo Gato [BATH-HOUSE: Confessions(1/2/3/4)] Catboys Can Purr Bagels, Goodbyes, & Catboy Abduction Love Poem No, no, no...
───────────
DAETH: Breaking Callon - Pleasure w/Pain - Sensing Death - ★Kissing Fate(1/2) - Precariously Balanced Nature - At Long Last, Eddellyn - Soul Searching - Into the Maze - ★The Minotaur & The Labyrinth - Heart of the Maze - Before the Storm - Thunder & Honey - ★Ripped Gowns - ★Sensual Poetry - Warding Sigils - Hedonistic Filth & House-Sized Party Crasher - Confronting Maarazaar(1/2/3) - Ash Bunny Irihi
───────────
RISQUÉ: Fun with Fisticuffs!
[CHATTE]Enter Chatte - Chat w/Castor -Proposing the Race
[ASMODIEL & GALVINA] ★A Celestial & Demoness Play Cards - Asmodiel Smites a Feeder
──────────────────
[☆ = favorite / ★= extra fave]

Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious, Hurt & Angry Feline

╺ ✽ ╸ 

[OOC: Tom-Cat & Miiya on their first run for the couple’s ice luge event: from The Hidden Estate of Duskhill]

Tom-Cat wraps both arms around Miiya and pulls her wings in tight to prevent them from snagging on the edge of the ice wall, as they’re forcibly sucked under the lip and pulled beneath the surface of the freezing waters.  The current buffets him as he tries to get his bearings, each second lingering on as minutes, like time that was stretched and dilated, caught in a dense gravitational field.  His lungs burn, the frigid water like hands of ice that snatch and tug at his skin and clothing as he’s carried along, cold digging fingers into his chest and squeezing his lungs in an ever-tightening grip.  He needs air.  The catboy kicks up with powerful legs, legs that can launch him to the top of buildings; legs that allow him to scale near vertical rock faces, and effortlessly cushion his landing from two stories up.   

Tom-Cat and Miiya break the surface of the water like buoys held beneath the waves and suddenly let go.  He just manages to stop from braining himself on the low roof of the tunnel,  twisting his body slightly and raising an arm to gouge his claws into the thick ice above his head.  He digs in hard with his claws, trying to create enough drag to slow their speed and navigate around any obstacles.  His claws rend deep tracks along the ceiling as he pulls back against the force of the current, and is able to slow them enough that he’s able to risk a glance at Miiya.

He can’t read the expression on her face, she looks stricken and angry with stress burrowed into the corners of her eyes; he can’t care right now.  Out of nowhere, the look she gave him on the cliff flashes through his mind, and he feels angry and hurt and hateful all over again.  It washes over him like a hot flash, sluicing through his veins hot and irrational; he barely feels the cold water as terrible anger skewers his heart.  He wants to let her go, wants to let her be crushed against the rocks in the current and see how she survives on her own; she doesn’t need him, after all.  At least that’s what her every action has told him.  So why did he keep trying?

Who was she to judge him? This girl who only sees him as a monster even as he’s saved her over and over.  

Another voice, one from his hindbrain that’s as ancient and olde as rich, red earth, says, ‘She didn’t know; how could she? She’s just a girl, hurt, alone, and scared.’  There’s that pull again, that one that makes him want to comfort her, and he grits his teeth and looks away from Miiya, swallowing his anger - again.  He’s able to, somewhat, because some part of him knows that the voice is right, that she wasn’t trying to hurt him on purpose.  It still doesn’t lessen the sting; it still doesn’t change her treatment of him.  

He uses his claws on the ceiling to slightly shift their course to go around a large rock jutting out of the water, and glances at her from the corner of his eye.  She looks small and too-pale, her lips tinged blue; she looks lost.  His heart doesn’t soften much, but at least he doesn’t want to see her hurt.  He hates how much certain triggers of the trauma in his past affect him as if the pain was fresh, new, and immense, and not something that’s several years old.  She didn’t know, or so he tells himself.  

Tom-Cat looks up and sees several rocks littering their path and he curses under his breath.  He flexes his arm and presses against the ceiling as hard as possible to reduce their speed by any amount.  He does so, just for a second; he doesn’t have time to say anything to Miiya before they’ll reach the first of the rocks, so he just acts.   He rolls until he’s on his back, with his feet pointed downcurrent and he pulls her back against his chest the ‘v’ of his legs bracketing her  own.  He’s just able to see between the jut of her wing and neck, and that’s enough for him to try and steer them through the hazards.  His legs are longer than hers, so his feet will strike any obstacles, protecting her from dashing her legs or feet against the rocks.

Nested like Olympians in the couple’s ice luge event, Tom-Cat guides them as best he can through the tunnel.

╺ ✽ ╸ 

Tom-Cat’s arm is sore but he’s otherwise fine, when the narrow tunnel spits them out unceremoniously, the river widening into a meandering current as the icy waters stretch from bank to bank.  It’s a bit of a shock to be out of the rushing current, but he doesn’t hesitate to swim them over the first shallow area he sees where they will be able to climb up.  He lets the Aeros go and doesn’t help her as he climbs onto the riverbank, feeling the smooth coldness of the floor beneath the pads of his feet.  

The anger is back, seething in his bones.  It’s mixed with a different kind of heat, like a contact high from her nearness, even though all he can smell is wet feathers.  It’s confusing and it’s pissing him off, because he still feels hurt deep within his core, and he doesn’t know what to do with the clash of his emotions and thoughts.  As he hears her begin to wade to shore, he can’t help but feel bitterly angry: Why did he ever save her if she was just going to pitch herself off of a cliff.  The rage and hurt boils inside of him, making his blood rush too-hot in his veins.

Teleskela, ana!he snaps, the slang indicating the deepest disgust for the subject matter.  He wasn’t the most charitable person, not even on a good day - and this has been one of the worst so far.  “Next time you want to pitch yourrrself off a cliff, at least wait until I’m gone! You made it verrry clearrr with yourrr high and mighty look of disgust,” here he can’t help but look at her with his yellow eyes narrowed in contempt. “That you didn’t want me arrround.  I was leaving,” he hates himself for the way the words snag in his throat, for the clear note of hurt he can’t quash from his tone.  “But then you had to go ahead and trrry and kill yourrrself by jumping off a cliff.

The burst of rage burns through him quickly, but it only returns to a low simmer.  He was truly hurt by her, and it wasn’t just because of the look and the censure in it. It was the continual rejection of his overtures towards her, her insistence on his monstrosity when he’s only trying to offer some modicum of comfort.  He didn't want to be a monster; he wanted to be different.  And her continual rebuffs told him that nobody thinks he can be anything else but what he already is.  It says that he can't be better and that he never will be better. 

...What if it's true?

Tension crackles through the air like something alive, something powerful and electric that writhed between them, connected them.  It felt exhilirating and sharp as it skips along his skin, worming down into hus muscles and making them twitch. This...thing, between them would come to a head in some way, shape or form.  The only question is: who would break first.

Tom-Cat hates himself for hating her for how hurt he feels.  He hates her for being so selfish, so thoughtlessly cruel.  And still, there’s something in him that he can feel thrum between them, that’s pushing him to offer comfort, to understand, to forgive.  The feeling is singed by the heat in his veins and poisoned by the bitterness in the pit of his stomach.

Little idiot,” he hisses, his tail lashing angrily as the heat rolls down his spine.  He’s standing a few feet away and pins her with a glare.  “Do you have some sorrrt of death wish?” he asks, his tone straightforward and frank.  There’s no innuendo, he’s not flirting; the question is deadly serious.  His ears twitch and he curls his tail around himself in an almost self-soothing gesture.  He looks away from her, his jaw hard.

Why do you invite death?

He's shaking somewhat, but it's not from the freezing cold. It's from the residual fear in his veins, that sudden weal of panic he'd had when he watched her grow closer to the cliff's edge; when he'd been ready to let her toss herself over.  He doesn't know what he's scared for, anymore: losing her or losing himself to her? 

TOM-CAT: [KIANA BEACH:First Stab - POUNCE (★1/2) - WATCHER BATTLE (34/5/6/★7)] [GOBLIN EXTERMINATION (1)-(☆1/2)] – [ICE CAVES: Cliffhanger (★1/2) -PowderKeg (★1/2/3) - Hypothermia (4/5/6) - Imprint (7/8/9/)] [SUNSTEALER:(1/2/3/4)-(1/2)] –Miiya & Cat-Tom [SPARRING:(1/2/★3)] - ☆The Great Tipsu Hunt! - ☆Stolen Kiss Overwhelmed by Intimacy Returning to Her Bath Time Bonding Wings, Tails, & Love Cave Storms Climbing the Walls 1st Kiss Makeouts & Memories Laughter & Kisses Eros & Hormones Cat-Tom: Rescue Kitty! Cat-Tom vs. Skaven (Forced) Shift Back 9 Lives A Beast in the Darkness Reuniting w/Teleskela Bored Nihilism Cat vs. Dragon Emotionally Exhausted Bath Catboy, Interrupted All For Her Bellissimo Gato [BATH-HOUSE: Confessions(1/2/3/4)] Catboys Can Purr Bagels, Goodbyes, & Catboy Abduction Love Poem No, no, no...
───────────
DAETH: Breaking Callon - Pleasure w/Pain - Sensing Death - ★Kissing Fate(1/2) - Precariously Balanced Nature - At Long Last, Eddellyn - Soul Searching - Into the Maze - ★The Minotaur & The Labyrinth - Heart of the Maze - Before the Storm - Thunder & Honey - ★Ripped Gowns - ★Sensual Poetry - Warding Sigils - Hedonistic Filth & House-Sized Party Crasher - Confronting Maarazaar(1/2/3) - Ash Bunny Irihi
───────────
[ASMODIEL & GALVINA] ★A Celestial & Demoness Play Cards - Asmodiel Smites a Feeder
──────────────────

Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

By the time they were shot from the airless ice tunnel, Miiya had some idea of what was happening. Where she could barely float, Tom-Cat had maneuvered them both through the deadly rapids as if it were his second nature. One more way in which she was no match for him.

When those strong sure arms released her in the shallows, Miiya waded out of the frigid water, slipping upon the frost-rimed rocks, the only ice-free space where the river had melted its way through the subterranean glacier. The diffuse glow from the translucent walls of the ice cave was not the only reason her lips seemed blue. It was SO cold! 

The girl's wings were completely saturated and heavy with water. It was all she could do to fold them tight upon her back to minimize heat loss, as if she had any left. 

The assassin was mad, no; furious. He spat the name with which he'd branded her as though it were poison. He railed at her for reasons she did not really understand. What? A look? He clearly blamed her for his own decision to stop her flight. 

She could see him twitch with barely repressed rage. See how agitated he was as he fixed that predatory, terrifying slit-pupiled gaze upon her and asked her if she sought death. It was then that Miiya became very aware of just where they were and who they were with. 

Alone.

No one.

He had her here, dragged deep into a sunless lair, flightless, helpless, friendless. It had been a long journey from that pinning, that pounce on the beach. Back when she could fly, back when she could fight. But now he had her. 

She took an unconcious step back, slipping upon the ice landing seated on folded fawn legs. For a second, her eyes ticked up to meet his deadly stare. Whatever look Tom-Cat had wanted from the girl, he now recieved the abject expression of fear from his prey, certain it is facing it's final moments before the his jaws.  

But just for a second.

Because frett this guy!

There was nowhere to hide in these icy smooth-walled canyons, Miiya couldn't fly away, and she barely had two stitches of clothing, let alone any weapons, to her name or in her possession. There was one way to hurt Tom-Cat, and maybe he was even lying about that, but Miiya was going to grasp that straw and jam it into his eye if she could. She did not want to die down here, and if death was unavoidable, at least she could show her talons first.

"I-I... wasn't trying to kill myself, y-yew afline!" She growled at Tom-Cat as she regained her feet, the fear in her eyes and tone being supplanted by a slowly-kindling anger of her own. "I could've flown, if it weren't for yew! I could've!" For a moment, the anger in Miiya's tone wavered. She was not a practiced liar.

I couldn't. 

I can't fly anymore.

I might be dead now. He saved... 

NO! You can't think like that! I would have made the rocks! He's just angry because yew made him work for his meal! FIGHT!

"I wouldn't be stuck down here, if it weren't for yew!" Her shouts bounced against the frozen walls of the cavern and echoed down the passageways leading away from the water's edge. "But yew just couldn't let me go, because you LIKE seeing me hurt! I SAW IT! I SEE YOU!!" She screeched. 

Miiya had not slept in days. She was miles and miles beneath the sky. Her wing was mangled, her tendons sprained and sore. Now she was lost in a yfretting ice cave with this stalker assassin monster.

Oh, and her goddamn pinfeathers were broken, a sudden twinge of pain reminded her. 

Even as she berated Tom-Cat with wild-eyed desperation, she viewed herself with a certain detachment. Man, I really am crazy. He's surely about to stab me. 

But the Aeros girl was coming unhinged even as her face heated, even as her Storm Dancer's heart fired her rich blood through its deepest chambers. Though she was dancing now, she couldn't find her balance, and she did not want to. "You kill people! You t-touch me without asking first!" Frett! Why did I say that part?! 

Miiya suddenly jammed up, as much color as her thin freezing frame could dredge up from her core flushed her cheeks. She wanted to hurt him with these words, but she couldn't seem to smith them properly. 

She didn't like the way he treated her, not one bit. 

Really! 

She could not dither here. She could not stumble. She had to fight.

Kill him! Punch his heart from his chest!

"You." Step. "Are." Step. "BAD!" And she stumbled. Frett! Her knee dashed against a sharp stone, and the sudden pain distracted her from her homicidal gambit. 

Head down, she recovered, her voice suddenly pitching low, husky, and dangerous. "You like seeing me hurt, yew like touching my yfretting feathers?!" She straightened nearly nose-to-nose well, chest, with the catboy. "Well, HERE THEY ARE!" She shouted, voice echoing off the walls of the ice cavern.

Instead of trying to pulp Tom Cat's kidneys, Miiya followed a sudden thrilling mad impulse and grabbed her broken pinfeather, one of the two she'd unwisely tied in a desperate gambit to get her wing stub to produce enough lift. 

Am I really going to do this? 

"Watch me."

Grounders thought pulling feathers was like plucking hairs. And the tertiary and downy feathers were something like that. Sort of like pulling out hanks of hair, but nothing like flight secondaries and primaries. Those were like ripping out fingernails. Worse, really. Fingernails had fewer nerves and grew back in faster. Watching Miiya pull her broken feather was like watching someone bend their own finger back until it snapped.

The Aeros girl had taken a deep breath as she grabbed her pinfeather. She had a lot of air to supply her agonized scream. It went up two octaves and a LOT of decibels before she was done, the pinfeather stretching and popping blood vessels in the anchoring skin and tendons, before it

At last

Snapped free, crumpled and gory, in Miiya's grasp. Already pale, Miiya turned a light shade of bluish-green as the flush of exertion left her. She wobbled on her feet, but did not faint. The pain was still intense, but so were her emotions rage swirling around Tom-Cat. "Here's yer yfretting payment!" She said, in a voice hoarse from screaming, as she flung the bloody feather at his face.

Miiya stood there panting. Now, what the frett do I do? In a novel, there would be some sudden distraction or the narration would shift to another scene. 

But she was still here. 

And he was there. 

And her feathers were there, too.

"See? I can be scary too." Miiya hissed, her defiance bleared from the physical side-effects of the agonizing display.

Uh, probably shouldn't have said that.

She swabbed the tears and mucus from her face with an arm and spat on the narrow space of ground between them. There was blood in the expectoration from grinding her teeth until they were loose in their sockets. "Like that? Want more!?" She threatened. 

Can I really do that again? 

I have to know if this is really what he is make him go away.

Staring straight into Tom-Cat's eyes, with only inches between them, Miiya grabbed the other broken feather.

ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline Powder Keg

╺ ✽ ╸ 

"So a Catboy and Aeros girl fall into an ice cave…"

It isn’t so much that the world drops away, but more like its focus narrows significantly until there was only Tom-Cat, the Aeros, and the tension which trembled and pulsed, pressed into the scant space between them.  Time seems to slow, minutes and hours passing by in the space of heartbeats, seconds, and blinks as the world holds its breath.  They’re dancing a razor’s edge, only inches apart, their steps dangerous, electrifying, and brimming with possibility. 

The air is heavy with after-echo of Miiya’s agonized wail, its texture infused with the oppressive weight of her pain, grief, rage, and sleep-deprived hysteria; he feels their odd angles push against the walls of his lungs with every breath.   She asks: Like that? Want more?” And it’s not a question; it’s a threat wearing the skin of one.  It hangs in the air and for the moment, remains unanswered; the silence that settles over them is loud with the potentiality of all that might be spoken or unspoken between them.

Tom-Cat’s nerves feel scraped raw by the silence, the feverish intensity of the Aeros’ eyes matched by the blazing heat in his own, as they stare at one another, into one another.  They’re drawn so close, too close, nearly chin-to-chest, and his body heat and the dampness of her skin makes the frigid air between their bodies swelter.  The muggy heat feels dense in his lungs, feels thick against the inside of his cheeks when he subtly tests the air; he tastes the wet molecules from his skin and hers, heady, oppressive.  It makes it hard for him to separate the simmering heat of his hurt and anger, from the webwork of fire laid over his bones and smoldering in his marrow.  His heart is hammering too-fast in his chest, the roar of blood rushing through his veins drowning out all other noise. 

Time has slowed, but his mind, his blood, is racing.  His thoughts are a confusing  jumble as they race through his mind, tripping over one another and sliding through each other as he tries to parse what’s happened, Miiya’s harsh words, tormented scream looping through him in a rush.  He can feel himself begin to spiral, his emotions confusing, unexpected, and contradictory, winding between his bones, intense and overwhelming.  There’s more to the hurt and fury that’s fisted in his chest, an underlying depth that’s both distant and complex; a scarred over Pandora’s box of old wounds and enduring trauma, that rends with claws from some blighted, neglected place deep within him.

They’re teetering, the tension that seethes between them close to breaking; they play a strange game of chicken as they jump rope with the lit wick of a powder keg.

Miiya’s gaze grows challenging, defiant, and she reaches for a second pinion feather.  

The tension shatters like an explosion of glass, sudden and volatile.

Tom-Cat moves before his thoughts have caught up to the actions of his body as he catches her wrist that’s reaching for the second broken feather in a firm grip, his free hand clamping over her hip as he moves them, using his strength and the element of surprise to his advantage.  He walks them back, one step, two, they abruptly pivot on the third; the hold on Miiya’s wrist is secure as he raises it and pins it beneath the brand of his palm, pressed back against the smooth, cold wall that is now behind her.  He steps in, destroying what scant space there'd been between them, not quite pinning her with the slant of his hips, but using his height and greater bulk to his advantage to crowd her.  He lets go of her hip and places his palm on the icy wall by her head and leans down. 

Now they’re nearly nose-to-nose.  He fixes her with a hard stare.

"Stop it."  He snaps it out in forceful snarl, his words accompanied by a faint, rumbling growl in his chest.  “You’rrre not a child.  If you want to pull out yourrr featherrrs, don’t use me as an excuse.”  He gave her a meaningful look, before the tight set of his mouth relaxed minutely.  For the briefest of moments, some of the anger recedes from Tom-Cat’s face as a corner of his mouth twitches up into a sardonic grin.  “And if you insist on thrrrowing a temperrr tantrrrum, I will bend you overrr my knee and spank you like a child.” The moment passes, and he simply studies her.  Absently, he notes the iciness of the wall beneath his palm and without thinking about or acknowledging it, he curls his fingers under Miiya’s wrist so that her skin is not pressed directly against the cold surface.  He slides his other hand down and curves his fingers around the base of her skull, his palm flush to her neck, creating a warm barrier between her and the wall. 

Tell me, Teleskela,” he says the name without any of the ire or poison with which he’d infused it earlier.  “Tell me, if I am such a monsterrr, if I am such an,” he pauses, an ear twitching. “If I am such an afline, and the rrreason forrr the prrroblems in yourr life,” he bends, which brings him closer but also puts them at eye level.  He catches her gaze with his own and holds it.  “Why didn’t you let me fall and brrreak upon the rrrocks of the cliff?”  The assassin’s voice is harsh but not violent, and is colored by the confusion, anger, and the acute outline of the buried trauma that she’d unknowingly dug up.  You condemn me as a killerrr, as a monsterrr who only wants to see you hurrrt.”  He glances away and just barely stops from rolling his eyes as he says, “And you say that I am bad.” He nods a little, mostly to himself.  “Fine.He pushes the word through his teeth, draws it out into a hiss.

Tom-Cat removes his hand from behind her head and reaches down, and produces a 4.25-inch tanto blade that'd been hidden on his person.  Fast as ever, he presses the knife into Miiya's free hand and her fingers reflexively clenched around the hilt.  He tugs her wrist up until she's holding the blade to his neck with the sharp edge pressed firmly against his throat.  I’ve neverrr wanted to hurrrt you, Teleskela.  So if you’rrre scarrred and I’m the cause…” he trails off, shrugging a shoulder as he meets her eyes.  “Then kill me.  Cut the prrroblem out of yourrr life; klll the monsterrr that trrrapped you down herrre.”  His tone is fierce, pointed.  The tip of his tail twitches in agitation. 

He lets go of the hand that’s gripping the knife and leans forward.  A thin line of bright red blood trickles down his skin and a few droplets collects in the dip at the base of his throat.  Why do you think I’m such a monsterrr? How would you even know what one looks like?” His eyes narrow.  “You have no idea what a monsterrr, what scum, rrreally is.”  He doesn’t raise his voice, doesn’t shout, but his tone vibrates with the barely suppressed fear-driven and hurt-caused anger that’s been sweating from his pores for days, and had come to a head at the edge of the cliff.  He brings his free arm forward and holds it out, wrist up.  He eases away from the knife blade and nods towards the crook of his elbow..  He hesitates for a second, then he straightens out his arm to give her an unobstructed view.

What do you see, Teleskela?” he asks.  His voice had gone dark with something more than just anger, something deeper with shades far more complex.  With her excellent vision, Miiya should be able to start picking out the faint outlines of some sort of circular marks, roughly 7-8mm in diameter.  The average Uman eye would probably only be able to pick out less than a dozen of the marks, with the clearest being a neat line of ten circular marks pressed into the soft, thin skin in the crease of his arm.  Those marks were still visible, and the slightly discolored skin around the circular edges are unique and unmistakable: they were cigarette burns.  The ten burns mark lined in his crease had been the deepest, the burning filter held against his skin the longest, but they’d been carefully placed where their evidence could be easily hidden.

Once she saw the neat row of old burns in the crook, Miiya’s excellent vision might easily be able to pick out more...lots more.  So faint and faded as to be almost invisible to the normal eye, she might be able to pick out hints of dozens upon dozens of old burns, long healed, that had been made over and over and over again, in the same one or two inch strip of skin idden away by the deep fold at the intersection of his forearm and elbow.  Tom-Cat doesn’t look at her, and, after a minute or so, he brushes aside her hand that still holding the knife, but doesn’t take it back from her, either.  He rests his palm by her face and leans in, dropping his head and lifting his eyes to hers. 

You don’t know me. You don’t know wherrre I’m frrrom. You look at me with disgust, with hate; you look down on me.  You fearrr me even though the only thing I’ve brrrought you was a blanket and not the sharp edge of my blade.”  His lambent yellow eyes grow hard and flinty.  His voice is hushed, but nearly shakes with the depth of all he's feeling, days worth of confusion, exhaustion, simmering heat, and the hot burn of anger, morphing into something that even he didn’t understand  “You think I am scum, worrrthless, and a monsterrr.”  He leans further in.  The air is charged, sizzling and electric as it shifts between them.  “You are not betterrr than me.  I am not worrrthless, and I am not a monsterrr, though maybe I should be.”  They’re barely an inch apart, their faces close as the air seethes, crackling and alive as it skips over his skin.

Tom-Cat pulls back abruptly and straightens, putting some breathing space between them.  He ran his hand through his hair and took a deep breath.  “If you’ve felt alone and lonely, that’s not my fault.”  He shrugs.  “I trrried.  I don’t know what you’rrre going thrrrough - I can’t possibly - but I trrried.”  He can't fully smooth out the bitter edge from his voice.  “I’m not yourrr brrrotherrr; I have no obligation to carrre.”  He glances at her.  “So if I trrried, it’s because I wanted to.  But don’t worrrrrry, Teleskela. I get it and you win.  Yourrr message is loud and clearrr: I will leave you alone."  The assassin suddenly releases Miiya’s pinned wrist and takes a step back from her.  Some of his anger has ebbed, but the hurt and plain, emotional exhaustion of the last few days won't let it drain from him completely.  He looks into the middle distance, his eyes fixed on a point just past her shoulder as he speaks again. 

I know what it’s like to be alone and without the light, with monsterrrs brrrushing by you in the darrrk…”  His voice, which has been low and somewhat distant, sharpens along with his tone, now keen and biting.  “And if you think I’m a monsterrr?  Comparrred to what’s out therrre, you might as well just kill me now.” He says this lightly, but his tone is cynical.  

Tom-Cat turns and begins to walk off, his tail flicking the Aeros under the chin, one last time.  He pauses a couple of steps away and turns like he’s remembered something.  “Oh, I forrrgot,” he says.  His voice is a smooth purr, his tone is perfectly catty and snide.  "You wouldn't do that, because," he pauses and raises his eyes, catching and holding her gaze with his own. He continues, recalling her own words from earlier. “You.”  Step.  “Arrre.”  Step.  “Good.”  He spits the words as epitets and jabs their shapes into the air, like an out-boxer delivering an aural 1-3-2  punch combo.

He doesn’t offer anything further and walks away from her, as he listens for once and heeds her wishes: he leaves her alone.

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Pioloss and Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

The Aeros girl locked up at his touch. He was so hot. Fire compared to the frigid ice cave. This… this was it! Miiya braced herself and bared her teeth as, growling that pet name of his, Tom-Cat pinned her against the ice wall. 

No! I won't let yew do this! Even as her roaring blood marshalled her deadly strength, she realized she did not want to kill him. Or try to kill, because let's be real.

It was to be a heroine's gambit. While he grabbed and growled and purred and threatened, she was going to shout her battle cry and hammer his ribs apart. "My name is--"

Tom-Cat overspoke her. And then,

Woa

He put a blade in her hand faster than she could blink and raised it to his own throat. 

And, finally, Miiya came out of herself, just a little. Just enough to see who really stood before her. 

He was hurt. 

She'd hurt him. The scary monster who was all teeth and claws and blades and strong sure hands and pet names and never any shirt; he was injured. 

Miiya didn't understand how that had happened. As the knife wobbled in nerveless fingers and Tom-Cat displayed the scars into which Miiya had been digging her talons, she wondered. How did I hurt him? 

And a tiny voice answered. Maybe because he li--

However it had happened, her would-be captor, saviour, param--friend? Had been injured by an unarmed, broken-winged, boney elbows-and-knees, prickly, hiding-under-the-bed... what? "Scarecrow" Myrae had called her. 

Up on her stake, sadly tilting in the field of ice, she watched him stalk off with changing eyes this time. How many times had she rebuffed him now? Who cares? He just wants to hurt yew. He likes that. An increasingly-unsure voice insisted. Who would want anything else with ugly trash like yew? 

But what if I'm wrong about...?

Miiya trailed the angry felinoid, wrestling with what to say now. "I didn't say leave." She whispered to herself. She had not called him a monster, either. No, that she had only telegraphed with every fiber of her being each time she saw him. 

She had never hurt anyone like this before. This was a power new to her.

And it was very cold. It was too late to wring out her ridiculous crop-top, for it had frozen stiff. There was less and less heat in her as her sodden wings wicked away every last iota of warmth. 

Miiya trailed Tom-Cat for a long time, trying and failing to come up with what to say to him now. 

As the heat of dancing left her, she faded, and a few madcap thoughts flitted across her so cold! mind.

Hey, you forgot your knife, Arfline.

Come back here and fight! Haha no.

I'm sorry. Wait, why am I sorry, again?

"Wait..." She finally said, and Tom-Cat stopped. This was scary! He was scary! But he wasn't. He didn't look scary. He looked sad. The Aeros girl was not yet in a place in her life where she could imagine another person could be both. Even so Miiya screwed up her courage and spoke. "I'm sorry. I was... I am scared. I didn't mean to hurt yew." She said. "I wanted..."

She saw his shoulders hunch at her words, his tail twitched. She wanted to say more, but the words wouldn't come. Her thoughts, like her heart, like her breathing, had all slowed as she came down from her dancer's high. 

ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

"Moonlights as an avian space heater"

Tom-Cat knows that he's been somewhat unfair to the Aeros, because he knows that no matter how poignant and raw the reopened wounds of his past-seeded trauma might feel to him, that's the crux: it's his trauma.  It doesn't belong to anyone else; he can't put the burden of his immense hurt or blinding anger on anyone else's shoulders.  He can't put the enormity of his past trauma on her. 

Of course, it's easier said than done.  

And that's not to say that she's completely free from his irritation.  He has been piqued by her continual rebuffs.  He has been nonplussed and hurt by her all-encompassing fear of just his voice on the other side of her closed door, let alone his full presence.  His weird conflict of feelings and impulses wasn't going anywhere, either; if anything, they're intensifying.  It's something he can't parse, this nagging sense that her roots were digging through his system and winding around his bones, until he won't be able to remove her without damage to himself.  

It's a terrifying prospect.

He's only half-surprised when he hears the soft echo of her footsteps following in countermeasure to his own, trailing after him.  His parting shot was purely to be an upuch; he knew how contemptuous he'd been.  He slows down a bit so she can keep up, but doesn't break the silence connecting them.  He doesn't know if she actually heard anything he said to her.  Still, there'd been some things that he'd needed to get off of his chest, things that he needed to say before they became poison in his veins.  It was cathartic and once he'd put his anger into words, he was finally able to purge (truly purge) the white hot rage that seared his skin.  Acknowledging the anger seething within him and giving voice to it, burned out the impurities from his blood and finally let the simmering heat within him cool.

When at last she speaks, asks him to stop, Tom-Cat does.  He doesn't turn to her right away, only swivels an ear in her direction as she speaks in a halting voice.  He can't help the slight flinch, the automatic hunch of his shoulders when she says that she was scared, but he moves past it quickly. Miiya's apology is sincere, her voice soft and vulnerable; he feels that tug again, more urgently this time, and he feels himself softening towards her.

He finally turns...and freezes.  His chest is suddenly tight. 

Miiya is so pale, a bluish tint to her lips, her clothing frozen solid with ice.   Her hair was frozen;  there's icicles forming on her wings. Her eyes were exhausted, red-rimmed from crying, and she had a dazed gleam in her irises.  She looks dead on her feet, corpse pale, and Tom-Cat is scared. 

Perhaps for the first time he understands how unhinged she's been, how her terrible grief and exhaustion has brought them to this place.  How being pinioned was unraveling the core of her being, and how the loss of her wing had opened a wound that might never heal, closest to the center of who she is.  How that led to her to run headfirst and take suicidal leap off a cliff in one last, desperate bid to fly.  And maybe he'll never really understand the extent of it,  but there's that twinge again; that little pull at the back of his mind that didn't want her to hurt.  That wants to comfort, alien as that concept was to his being. 

Could he?

Would he? 

She looks cold.  She is cold.  And somehow Tom-Cat knows, as she falls silent and ice forms on her eyelashes, that she's close to death; too close.  It makes something in him rear up in response, and he's moving before he knows what he's doing or why.  His hands were made for killing; he knew this.  They'd been broken and reforged to glean comfort from the feel of cold steel pressed against his lifeline.  But maybe they could be different.  

Could he? 

Would he?

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

Miiya collapsed in on herself, wrapping thin heatless arms around frozen icy fabric.  

She had waited too long, walked too far in the cold dimness. The wet, the ice, even the pain of her empty feather socket had barely pierced the fog of despair--no, death. She was ending. It was too cold, too dark, too deep. She could not descend to warmer climes. She could not sleep. She could not fly. Those hopeless sceams, the mutiliation, that had been her swan song here, deep beneath the solid sky of this sunless hole. 

I'm not okay. 

I can't do this.

I'm dying.

There was not much heat anywhere in her thin sodden frame, but what was left rushed into her cheeks, pressed behind her forehead and eyes, jammed up against that frozen mass that she couldn't scream out ever since The Watcher had pinioned her. She did not want to die down here in the dark, 

but she could not get out by herself, no matter how hard she struggled. 

She wanted Cah.

Her lips formed a name. "Ma..." She wanted ma.

That was the thought that broke her. She wanted her imperious, abusive, never satisfied mother. Because no matter how much it hurt, ma always saved her from the darkness, no matter what. 

But not here. 

I can't do this alone.

I didn't give up; ma, I tried so hard.

But I just can't.

"I'm sorry." Miiya whispered again, but it was not Tom-Cat her dimming eyes were seeing.

Tears streamed down Miiya's face as she turned, taking a few shuffling steps away from the felinoid. She did not want him to see her die. This was private. This was what she could do, alone.

Freezing is okay. Better than what she'd do to herself after any more sleepless nightmares. It did not matter which way she walked. Miiya could sense she only had a few moments left. A handful of steps. That's all right.

I am okay with this.

Aeros could fly at altitude until they dropped. Hypothermia was an acceptable state of being, until it was not. They did not waste energy shivering. When the cold took them, they descended to lower, warmer climes.

Or they died.

Miiya felt the ice encroaching on all sides. There was no way to descend when you were already underground. She felt the bitter cold suck the warmth out through her feathers, skin, hair, and even the soles of her feet. 

She could not feel feet or hands when she stumbled and went down on the ice. They were so numb she could not even catch herself, and ended up laying on her side, the cold radiating into her cheek where it pressed to the ice. She tried and failed to rise, cold-deadened hands and arms unable to get purchase on the slick surface. Her movements slowed. Her heartbeat became indistinguishable. Her breathing shallowed to nothing. She promised herself not to stop trying, but in the end it did not matter.

ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

"Will be your blanket for security and warmth..."

[OOC: post (1/3)] 

Tom-Cat’s hands are beautiful.   His hands are graceful, expressive, and deceptively strong, with lean, shapely wrists that belie tendons like banded titanium that shift underneath.  His fingers are deft, deadly, and sure; the violence stamped into his palms can be felt in the heat and hold of an implacable iron grip.  Tom-Cat’s hands are made for secrecy, for stealth - for murder. 

His hands bring death. 

Death is written into the whorls of his skin, imprinted, etched into his fingerprints like code; automatic.  He's fluent in the language, his body reads the cipher with ease, the brutality of his training twitching muscle memory into lethal action without thought.  His fingers know precisely how much pressure to apply to a man's windpipe to crush it.   His palms welcome the shape and weight of a blade in hand, the contours of the hilt pressed along his lifeline.  He knows the amount of force needed to slip a blade between one's ribs, by feel alone; his arms automatically anticipate the recoil and jerk as the body seizes, then dies. 

He’s been taught to count seconds in the rhythm of slowing heartbeats and labored breathing, his ears attuned to find truth in the final rattle of air leaving the lungs.  There's a brutal honesty in that final song, something real and constant, and a note is struck inside of him each time he hears it.

His hands bring death, a symphony of quiet violence orchestrated in the clench and twist of those clever fingers.  Just like he was taught. 

What his hands don't know are how to heal. They don’t know how to fix things.  They don’t know how to fix people.  He’d never been taught, had never been told that fixing was a possibility; he’d never considered it something he would ever want to do.  His hands were forged to be hard, deadly; any softness hammered out in the blunt lessons of split knuckles and broken fingers.  Tom-Cat doesn’t know how to comfort, his hands aren’t gentle - he doesn’t know how to save the dying Aeros.

Even so, it’s not a question of whether or not he will try: he will save her, he has to try, or she’ll--  His chest is too tight, constricted by iron bands of panic and he violently shoves aside the thought, denying it immediately.  That’s not an option; he must save her.  He will...he has to.  There’s no room for failure, no time for uncertainty, past time for action; a countdown to her death song started as soon as she collapsed onto the ice.  He hears it, that slow, inexorable unwinding of breath and the sluggish rhythm of her heart, as he reaches her and drops to his knees beside her too-still figure.  

For the first time, Tom-Cat’s hands feel useless.  His hands tremble once, betraying him - betraying the depth of his worry.   He feels the iciness of Miiya’s skin under the pads of his fingers, the cold seeping into the lines of fingerprints.  It feels like dread as the cold sinks down into his bones.  Tom-Cat’s  hands tremble once more before he grits his teeth and forces rigid control back through his limbs.

Miiya doesn’t notice. She barely - if at all - knows he’s there.

He takes a moment to reclaim his knife, resheathing it, before carefully folding the Aeros’ wings as tightly as he could.  He slips an arm under her back and around her wings, cradling them securely as he lifts her torso off the freezing ground.  He lowers a furred ear to her chest and listens, his own breath caught behind the dam of his teeth as he strains to hear the air stir in her lungs.  He hears it...and her breath is tenuous, if that, and so weak, it’s almost imagined, like a phantom breeze in the middle of a windowless room.  Tom-Cat feels urgency spark through his veins; there’s no time.  He needs to find somewhere to warm her core that won’t immediately leech the heat right back out.  He holds Miiya closer, curling her to his chest automatically - protectively - when she spasms and shudders, the brush of his bare skin like fire against the ice cold of her flesh.  Her body jerks violently like a marionette with tangled strings, and Tom-Cat doesn't know what to do; not really.

He acts on instinct, and finds himself muttering to Miiya in a raspy, soothing voice that he doesn't quite recognize as his own. It’s too low, too soft, though there’s a brittle tautness underlying his words which string the syllables together into identifiable speech.

Tom-Cat realizes he’s telling Miiya to hold on for him. He’s telling her that he won’t leave her - would never leave her - no matter what. And, with a sobering jolt, he also realizes that it's true.

She’s not really awake or aware, the convulsions of her body an automatic reaction to the burn of his skin against hers.  The tension leaves her, little by little, but then all at once she slumps and becomes eerily still.  Distressingly still; her blue lips make her resemble a corpse more than anything living.  An overwhelming and sudden panic rises up within Tom-Cat.  Miiya is too still, her face too slack, and his fingers are suddenly stupid with nerves as he hastens to smooth them across the frozen curve of her cheek. He trails the tips down her jaw and presses them firmly against her neck, holding his breath for one long, agonizing second before finally catching the increasingly faint thump of Miiya’s pulse beneath freezing skin. 

Tom-Cat’s breath explodes out of him with relief.

Hang in therrre, Teleskela,” he urges, croons, pleads. “I’ve got you.  We’ll get thrrrough this..togetherrr.” The words are awkward on his tongue, thick and weighted with muted significance, almost as if they want to be something else. They do, they are; he wants. He starts to say something more, something meaningful perhaps, but abandons the words halfway through. He swallows hard, swallows around their shape which is lodged heavily in his throat.  There will be plenty of time for words later (if only, he wishes he could), after she’s no longer standing at Death’s door, with one toe dangled over the threshold.  

Tom-Cat slips his other arm under her knees and stands, lifting Miiya - wings and all - easily.  She’s so light, seems so delicate, that her weight feels like practically nothing in his arms.  He knows his skin burns hot against her frozen flesh, but he keeps her curled tight to his chest, regardless.  It’s critical that he heats up her core as soon as possible. 

The assassin glances around the monochromatic landscape of the ice caverns, suddenly finding their beauty to be cold and impersonal.  He spies a smaller cave nearby, the ice on the walls looking a little thinner, and takes off running towards it, the half-dead and freezing Aeros cradled securely in his arms.

╺ ✽ ╸ 

Spoiler
[OOC: 1/3 - expand for more]
Post has been split into 3 parts to account for a “scene change” and length.

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

[OOC: (2/3) cont'd from previous post above] 

Nestled under the rocky overhang of a small, semi-enclosed nook located between two boulders.  

╺ ✽ ╸

Tom-Cat isn’t much for praying, but he sends up a quick thanks to whatever guardian angel is watching over the girl (people like him don’t deserve such things, so why even consider it?).  Someone must be watching over the girl, because finding any patch of ground that isn't iced over and frozen is lucky enough, let alone finding one that provides any sort of protection from the elements; he's grateful for any insulation from the cold, no matter how paltry.  The nook is better than being out in the open, and,  more importantly, the ground beneath the overhang is free of ice. 

He's able to duck under the overhang and he shuffles, half‐stooped, as far back from the opening as he can.  He gently sets the Aeros on the ground closest to the back of the enclosure, careful not to damage her stiff wings; distantly, a part of himself wonders at this softness, this tenderness which is so foreign to him, yet comes easily.  Is it because it's her? The part of him that is all primal animal instinct and ancient DNA murmurs in the back of his mind, a thin thread of simple knowing that tells him he's already aware of the why and how.  Tom-Cat shakes his head in denial, pushes the voice down - he can't, won't, there's no way…

He needs to focus on the here and now; on her.  Every second that passes is another  precious second of lost body heat, and when Tom-Cat places his hand on her chest and feels the coldness of her core, he knows that she doesn't have the luxury of his dithering and internal conflict.  Her time is being counted in minutes, not hours, and she will die unless he acts now. 

As he thinks it, something stirs in some blighted, forgotten place within him that had been meticulously razed, ravaged, and spoiled by those who sought to shape him into a tool for their own pleasure and use.  Sweet boy… Daddy's little switchblade.   Those who didn't need him to be kind or gentle.  Those who responded by knocking him to the dirt with a swift punch across the jaw, the one time he was discovered feeding stray cats in Haven; the lesson was reinforced by the savage beating that followed, which left him unable to move for hours afterwards.  He was nine.  He never saw those cats again.  But he'd learned his lesson and never tried again; kindness was weakness.

And yet…they were never able to fully beat the capacity for kindness out of him - not completely.  They just blunted his ability to feel it, to know what it looks like, to recognize it.  He feels a slight shift within that blasted, long neglected space inside of him, just a muted shadow of a feeling, but present and real, nonetheless.  Not dead.  Just untended, like a plant that's been denied sunlight.  Or maybe it's more like a seed that was buried and long forgotten in a stretch of cracked, parched earth, lying dormant through years of a drought and waiting for that first drop of rain. 

For once, Tom-Cat doesn't suppress the tug, doesn't shy away from the feel of it creeping up from that graveyard of bones where he buries everything that can hurt him, that might hint at vulnerability.  Where he's locked away any softness in him, because softness is weakness. Execpt… he wantto be weak right now.   He needs to be...and maybe it's not really a weakness to care, to help, to be gentle; maybe it's actually a strength.

It's okay.  You are not weak.  This does not diminish you.

Tom-Cat takes a deep breath and focuses on Miiya.  She needs him now, there's nobody else.  He can do this.  He will do this. He can teach his hands to be something other than destructive. 

He knows what needs to be done and doesn't blink as he hastily strips out of the only clothing he has on, his pants, leaving him only in his (thankfully quickly drying) black undershorts.  He's not self-conscious about it, they're functional, not loose or long, allowing for maximum freedom of movement. He's killed in nothing but his undershorts, depending on how messy he anticipated the job to be, or if he needed to slip through a tight space in order to reach his mark.  He turns to the Aeros.

It's imperative that he gets Miiya out of her wet, frozen clothing.  Leaving the garments on will do nothing but continue to leech heat from her; wet clothing is the kiss of death for anyone suffering from hypothermia.  He goes about it with an almost clinical efficiency, the exigency of the whole situation and the tight knot of fear in his chest allowing him to detach from the intimacy of his actions. 

Her shirt is frozen solid with ice, not that there's much of it to be frozen.  The strange crop top is a sad, sorry looking garment and the assassin is honestly doing her a favor.  Hopefully she won't miss it much as he pulls out his knife and slices the top straight up the front.  He cracks the ice apart with his hands and after making another two cuts at each sleeve, manages to peel the wet, ruined garment off of her.  He tosses it aside.  She has a wrap on under the top and he leaves it; the material is thin and should dry quickly enough.   He doesn't take the blade to her pants,  but painstakingly takes the time to crack the ice off of the frozen parts of the material until they're no longer so stiff and solid.   It still takes some patience to strip off the sodden trousers, the material wet and heavy.  He pauses before tossing her pants to the side, eyeing her.

Oh kwesh! Teleskela..that’s just sad,’ he thinks.  In a different situation he might have snickered at her undergarments - they look like something her grandmother would wear.  If they get through this, he'll have to take her shopping in Shaarn, because nobody should have to wear such sad, unflattering plain underwear.

Tom-Cat takes a moment to stretch out both of their pants, hoping that they will dry somewhat.  He crawls back over to the Aeros and looks her over.  He frowns.  She's so pale, almost tinged blue from cold, and there's seemingly not an ounce of fat on her.  The same could be said about him, but he benefits from the furnace at his core to keep the cold from sapping his heat, unlike the Aeros.  It's what allows him to move so fast, the high temperature keeping his muscles perpetually warmed, loose, and ready for action at a moment's notice. 

He doesn't need excess fat to help him in the cold.  She would benefit greatly from a little padding, and any extra fat would help to insulate her organs, keep them warm and properly functioning.  That's when Tom-Cat notices for the first time that she's not shivering.   A spike of fear shoots through him, dread knotting in his stomach and seeping panic, cancerous and black into his system.  That's not good.  He looms over her, his sharp eyes focused and intense, looking for any indication of her breathing.  Nothing, not even the barest rise or fall of her ribcage.   He once more presses a grey-furred ear directly against her chest, listens.  Nothing.  He can barely hear the air move in her lungs, and even then he’s not sure if he’s imagining it.  He can’t hear her lungs expand to take a breath.  

His tail lashes with his worry.  That's when a seemingly insignificant memory is dredged up, something he'd overheard, but didn't think much of, at the time.  A small group of Reachlanders who'd been pressed into service in the Royal Amenee Marines, exploded into Haven on shore leave when he was twelve.  They were a boisterous lot and spent most of their time (and coin) at various establishments on Brothel Row.   (The group apparently made quite an impression, because Bunny Pleasure and Alandra Minx had a few girls run off, convinced they were in love...only to return a week or so later with shattered hearts and declarations that all men were dogs.) 

Tom-Cat was almost four years into his training at that time, and, despite himself, found the irreverent and unruly Reachlanders to be intensely interesting.  Despite essentially being forced into service to Amenee, they acted like free men who were unshackled from any burden or responsibility.  He'd admittedly spied on them as often as he could, usually when they were deep into their cups at one of taverns close to the brothels.   He liked to lounge in the shadows of the rafters above the main room and just listen to the buzz of the patrons below him.  

That’s how he came to overhear about the Reachlanders’ latest campaign to the Ice Krowne and learned how deadly the cold could truly be.   The marines raised their mugs in a solemn salute to one of their brother’s-in-arms, still recovering from nearly freezing to death after he'd fallen through icy surface of a frozen lake.

To Brion, th’ clumsy shite,” one said.

Aye, right unlucky bastard,” said another, taking a long swig from their mug.

Never been next ta someone ‘oo felt s’cold,” muttered a third.  “Naked even.  Thought ‘ee was goin’ t’die.”  Tom-Cat could hear the grin in the man’s voice when he spoke next.  Prolly ‘ad th’bluest balls ever.” 

His companions snickered, but then grew quiet and somber again.

If Fin ‘adn’t ‘ad the good sense ta blow some warm air in’ta Brion's lungs, no amount of naked snuggles was gonna ‘elp th’lad.” The man snorted.  “Brion is prolly gonna propose t’ye, Fin, ye bett’r watch out.  Ye laid a good ‘un on ‘im.”  There was a chortle, followed by the sound of a fist striking flesh. A belated,  “Ow.” Then, “Prick.” followed.

Ye loved it, admit it Eoin,” someone teased.  The table erupted into laughter.  

Oh shove it,” Eoin groused.  “All’s I ever said is that if I ‘ave t’make a choice, I’d rath’r be sharin’ me heat naked w’someone oo’s got sum meat on ‘em, an’ oo take’s care of ‘imself.  I dun want no scrawny lil’ theat’r snipe or sumthin.”  There was a pause.  “I’ve got standards, unlike you arseholes.” 

The conversation dissolved into a raucous ribbing, jeers, and good natured insults.

╺ ✽ ╸ 

[OOC: 2/3 - final part below]

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

[OOC: (3/3) cont'd from previous post above] 

Nestled under the rocky overhang of a small, semi-enclosed nook located between two boulders.  

╺ ✽ ╸

Tom-Cat is surprised he remembers that seemingly innocuous moment, but he’s never been more thankful for spying on those rowdy bastards than he is right now.  He doesn’t hesitate as he leans over Miiya and tilts her chin up and parts her lips, making sure nothing is obstructing the airway.  He takes a deep breath, feeling the air heat up and move like a warm current in his chest.  Then he pinches her nose shut and leans down.  He's confident and sure as he firmly seals his mouth over hers and breathes out, pushing warm air into her lungs.   He watches her chest expand, then delivers another breath, once more passing warm air between them.

He moves and places his hands on the middle of her chest, one over the other, and takes a deep, steadying breath.  He pushes down firmly with his body weight, wincing slightly, but continues the compressions, counting silently in his head.  He can’t remember how many he’s supposed to do, so at thirty compressions, he stops, looks.  No real change.  He doesn’t let the panic overtake him, even though he can feel it tighten his shoulders until it feels like his spine will snap.  

He repeats his actions, sealing his mouth over hers and pushing two breaths into her lungs, followed by chest compressions.  Wait.  Ear perk.  Listen.  Tail swish.  Anxiety.  Come on... Anticipation.  Breathe…  Fear.  ...please…  Keep going.  Teleskela...  Repeat.

Tom-Cat repeats the cycle close to ten times.  Each time there’s no real change, he slips closer to the edge of panic induced madness.  He’s feverish as agitation and distress spreads through him like miasma, making his blood roar and pound too-fast in his veins.  Everything suddenly seems too-bright, the details of Miiya’s face painted in achingly sharp contrast as he bites back the fear that licks deep into his throat with an acrid aftertaste.  Every sense is hyper focused and heightened to the point of feeling raw, his nerves too-keen and every impression on his awareness needle sharp. 

His fingers twitch, tremble, and he knows he’s barely holding it together.  He presses his teeth together so tightly they ache, swallows, and takes a deep breath.  He steadies himself, flattens his emotions, and dispels the shakiness.  Once more, he leans over the Aeros and seals his mouth over hers, and shares his breath.  Her chest expands, once, twice.  And then she exhales.  Tom-Cat freezes, his body going eerily still as the air catches in his throat.  He watches, listens.  Miiya takes another breath.  The rise and fall of her chest is shallow, but she’s breathing on her own! He can actually see her breathing and that’s all he cares about.  

Tom-Cat takes a huge, shuddering breath as relief washes over him.  He can’t define it exactly, he’s relieved and feels almost shattered by the intensity of it.  He feels at once empty and overcome, the rising tide of panic and tension voided so swiftly that he’s left feeling curiously hollow, and yet not.  There’s a growing awareness in the center of that yawning blankness, and he can’t get a real sense of it.  It feels esoteric and profound, with an unfathomable shape and hidden edges that he can only partially glimpse.  There’s a sense of warmth, need, care, and closeness, interwoven with an unique mix of wonder and terror only felt when facing something new and unexplored.  It’s promise and potential and hope; it's devastating and entirely overwhelming.  

It’s too much, he’s never dared to wish, to want -- people like him are not deserving of things like gentleness, soft smiles, and hope. 

And yet…Tom-Cat closes himself off to the fount of emotion, represses it before it starts to seep deeper into his thoughts (before he can want), and ruthlessly denies whatever it is that he thinks he feels with such ferocity that it almost hurts (it does).  

Besides, Miiya is not out of the woods yet.  She might be breathing steadily on her own again and her lips have lost their blueish tint, but the rest of her is still freezing.  Tom-Cat impulsively skims a hand over her good wing, the cold feathers sharp under his palm, and he thinks about the feather she’d torn out and threw at his face. (He’d wordlessly snatched it out of the air and tucked it into the back of his pants.  If she was going to throw her feathers at him - temper tantrum aside - he was keeping it.  And he wasn’t giving it back, even if she asked).  The assassin shakes his head to clear it; he wasn’t going to think about that right now.  Instead, he moved the Aeros’ freezing wet wings so they weren’t pressed against her back where they could continually absorb her body heat.  At this point, leaving her wings folded tightly against her body would be like draping a sopping wet blanket over her.

When he is satisfied with the arrangement, Tom-Cat exhales slowly and then eases himself alongside her prone form.  He turns onto his side, facing her, and slides his arm under her shoulders and pulls her in tight.  Then he wraps himself around Miiya like a blanket, curls his tail delicately around her waist, and molds himself to her contours until they’re pressed flush at every possible point from head to toe.  He threads a leg through hers, curves the other over her hip, and presses her foot between his ankles.  He folds her into the cradle of his arms and nestles her in a protective embrace, his hands spanning the entirety of her back; he rests one palm between her shoulders, the other pressed flat against her lower back.  He shifts, then forces himself to relax, the tension ebbing from him until they fit together like the pieces of a puzzle.

It’s an intimate jigsaw of limbs and skin-to-skin contact.  Tom-Cat might have found their position to be exciting and overstimulating, but he doesn’t. All he feels is varying degrees of worry and anxiousness.   Miiya is shockingly cold against his body, her skin like a cube of ice compared to his own.  He must feel like fire, like a hot iron pressed tight against her frozen flesh.  Without really thinking about it, he rubs small circles between her shoulders and strokes his other hand up and down the length of her spine, instinctively trying to warm her. 

It’s okay, Teleskela,Tom-Cat murmurs, his voice little more than a quiet purr.  “You’ll warrrm back up in no time.”  He can’t quite keep the worry from his voice.  He inhales deeply before exhaling a calming breath, the tip of his tail twitching back and forth.  “You have to fight forrr it, though,” he says, his tone both pleading and firm.  “Do it forrr yourrr motherrr.  Fight to come back to yourrr brrrotherrr…kwesh! Fight forrr yourrrself, because you arrre stubborrrn and a brrrat...”  He chuckles a little, then trails off with a sigh.

He debates for a minute before tucking her head against his shoulder and chest.  He twitches, hesitating for a split second, before yielding to want and resting his chin gently atop of her head, uncaring of her wet hair.  They're pressed so close that had she been awake and aware, she'd be able to feel the hammering of his heart in her own chest.  He's very aware of her, of them, but his concern and fear that she won't pull out of this is forefront in his thoughts.  She's strong, she'll pull through... He wonders if he would be able to, were their positions reversed.  He really doesn't have anyone he'd want to fight for, that would be a tether for him to pull himself back from the brink; there's only himself.  Kwesh, that's truly a sad and pathetic thought.  He withholds a sigh.  It's not important.

There is really nothing to do but wait.  And so, folded around her like a catboy blanket of security and warmth, Tom-Cat envelops Miiya with his heat, and waits, and hopes.

A few minutes pass, then words rumble out into the cold air, so low and in such a quiet tone, they might be imagined or not spoken at all.

Please fight...come back...fight...forrr me...to me.

╺ ✽ ╸ 

Spoiler
[OOC: 3/3 - apologies under cut]
Sorry for the length of this! It ran away from me. I should learn how to edit better or whatever.  Anyway, again, I apologize for excessive word count, but hope you enjoy anyway!

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

When Tom-Cat carried, then curled around her she made no protest, for the Aeros girl was unconscious and at death's door. It was only with Tom-Cat's rescue breathing that she began to show any sign of life. So rich was the atmosphere down here beneath the ground, that Miiya, in her frozen stasis, hardly needed to breathe. When the catboy forced her respiration, it was the same as hyperventilation, flooding her thick blood with excess oxygen.

Likewise, at rest, Aeros oversized hearts had evolved to maintain a state of fibrillation when not actively aviating (or storm dancing) and Miiya's barely-felt heartbeat had been enough to maintain life. Tom-Cat's compressions forced highly-oxygenated blood through her at aviating speed. 

These factors combined sparked her consciousness and dispelled her catatonia. To be sure she was still half-frozen, but even so, her enlivened nerves shot signals to her spine, that bounced back to her awakening muscles, causing her to jerk slightly at the contact. To her freezing skin, his warmth felt like a hot stove. She twitched involuntarily wherever they touched, before settling. 

Miiya was still very hypothermic and not aware of what was happening around her. She did not hear Tom-Cat's exhortations to fight, to remain. She was also exhausted from days of disrupted sleep and the long string of today's misfortunes. As the cat-boy's warmth enveloped her, she rose from her deathly torpor to a stunned state that was half-unconsciousness and half-sleep. When her temperature stabilized her subconscious awoke and her state became all sleep, curled in Tom-Cat's embrace, her forehead pressing against his chest. Miiya's irregular breaths and heartbeat settled to become quick and shallow as they were for all Aeros at rest in the thick air of lower altitudes.

In this state, again she dreamed of flying, and again, almost immediately, the sky of her nightmare filled with the dreaded sword. Miiya struggled in her sleep, whimpering faintly, her wings twitching further open and then refolding in fits and starts. 

ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

"Assassinates your nightmares & the monsters under your bed"

╺ ✽ ╸

The Aeros is having a nightmare.  

As he lay curled around her, Tom-Cat feels their closeness and his shared heat slowly begins to replace the arctic chill of Miiya’s body.  Warmth diffuses across her skin like the warm waters of a tropical current circulating through a polar ocean.  She twitches against him as the heat begins to loosen her muscles and reignite frozen nerves, her body relaxing and almost melting into him, her breathing evening out, her heartbeat becoming steady.  

And then she began dreaming, her restful sleep quickly turning fitful and distressed.  She began to squirm in her sleep, her face tight, carved into a veneer of scared panic that reflected whatever trapped terror she saw behind the darkness of her closed eyes.  She shudders against him, her wings twitching as they sought to unfurl, opening part way before snapping shut.  He feels her shiver, the arm around his waist locks into a tight hold as she blindly clutches at his back, her hand clasping and unclasping, the sharp points of her talons scraping over his skin as she grasps at whatever phantasms are haunting her. 

When she begins softly whimpering and drawing in short, panicky gasps of air, the assassin feels himself begin to come undone.  He sucks in a sharp breath when she writhes against him, her feet arching and the muscles of her calves flexing as she prepares to kick. Maybe she was attempting to launch and take flight to escape her nightmare; he didn’t know.  Before she could get that far, Tom-Cat held her with the bracket of his legs, locking her legs through his like he’d done when he’d pinned her beneath him during that first pounce on the beach.

Miiya twitches and issues a muffled mewl against his chest, and Tom-Cat feels the sound shudder up his spine with molten heat.  He tenses, every muscle coiling tight as he feels that crawling, slow-building heat that made his skin feel too tight begin to simmer in his veins.  He feels overstimulated, too-aware of every shift and twitch, her skin burning him at every point they touch, like he’s been branded with her essence every place she presses against him. 

She suddenly whimpers loudly, spasms, and clutches frantically at nothing as her talons rake down his back hard enough to draw blood.  Tom-Cat jerks, his spine arching, and he hisses in reply as he fights back the heady impulse to bite her in return.  It didn’t hurt.  And as he feels the trickle of warm blood over his skin, he feels a cacophony of wild instincts and impulses race through him.  He wants to bite, to scratch, to mark, to claim.  

He wants to sink his claws into the muscle where her shoulders met her wings, preventing her escape.  He wants to hold her beneath him as he scrapes his teeth lightly over the hollow of her throat, feeling the movement as she swallows, breathes.  He wants to feel her jugular throb under the heat of his mouth, feel her pulse jump and quicken as he bites down and marks her.  He wants to feel her heart racing beneath the padded paw of his animal, wants to feel it pound out a staccato beat as the cat screams out its challenge and stakes its claim, in one angry, possessive roar.

He craves the flavor of her heartbeat in the taste of the sweat on her skin. 

He wants --WHOA! Tom-Cat needs to get away from the Aeros, now.  

Her twitching wings and the flutter of her feathers, the whimpering noises and the fine tremble of her body pressed right against his, was playing havoc on his system.  His hindbrain craves the feel of her flesh between his teeth, to leave claw marks on her skin, and claim and possess and guard, jealousy.  All the wrong impulses were rushing up his spine and making that primal core send signals to his muscles to flex, tense, grab, and hold.  His tail slips from around her waist and lashes in agitation and anticipation.  He watches her chest rise and fall rapidly, watches the pulse jump in her throat, sees the twitch of her wings, and he craves it.  

He can’t leave her right now.  He can’t put distance between them. And he doesn’t want to.  He wanted - wants - to be better, to be more  than what his hindbrain, his primal animal core, tells him he is.

He’s not just an animal.  

He can be more than that.  

He is more than that.

He wants to be better.

He can be better.

He has to be.

It takes conscious effort for Tom-Cat to force his muscles to loosen, to force his body to relax once again even as his blood continues to call for some sort of action, now,  Slowly, breathing deeply, he manages to unwind the instinct coiled in his muscles that wants him to pounce and dominate, and feels some semblance of control settle over him.  He can be better; he doesn’t have to be ruled by that side of him. 

He can do this.  

For her, he’ll try.

Tom-Cat grazes the pads of his fingers over the curve of Miiya’s cheek, and strokes his thumb over her furrowed brow until the tightness of her face softens, relaxes.  He settles heavily against her, stretches his arms around her back and gently gathers in her wings.  He smoothes his hands down over the feathers as he folds them tight to her body, speaking in a reassuring tone.

Shh, Teleskela...peace...you arrre safe with me.”  For once, it’s not an outright lie.  He still feels a twitch in his fingers, but he has the sudden and powerful urge to simply comfort.  Peace, Teleskela. I’ve got you...nothing will harrrm you as long as I’m herrre.”  He strokes his hands over her wings once more, before he wraps his arms around her in a reassuring hold and pins them against her body.  Tom-Cat holds her wings pinned as they try to snap open, his grip unyielding but soft.  He settles his arms more snugly around her, and, held within the steely warmth of his embrace, Miiya’s struggles against her nightmare apparitions are useless.

Shh.  Soft, soft, little one,” he urges on a soothing purr.  Nayka teles kelakela...soft...you arrre okay.

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Pioloss liked
ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

As it did many times every night, the terrifying blade descended. This time, though, was different. Her wings were pinned. She could not engage in a hopeless juke or dive. Another memory, buried beneath the trauma of her amputation, swam to the surface. Tom-Cat wrapping his arms around her as they fell, twisting so that she landed atop him that fateful night on the beach.

Miiya's consciousness swam upward at the outside interference of warm strong arms around her wings. She heard his words, but through the veil of sleep, and gained none of their meaning yet all of Tom-Cat's intent. She pushed a little and her head pulled slightly from Tom-Cat's chest. Her eyelids cracked, pupils wide and unfocused within their chestnut irises.

Her cry was not a command or even a request. It was not a lucid thought, as the wordless screams in nightmares that the dreamer just can't put into words. No, Miiya's exhalation carried on it the clear and desperate words her subconscious had ached to say, but her waking mind had halted, for fear of showing weakness. For fear of inviting monsters.

"...save me..."

Miiya breathed. Then her eyes closed, her neck relaxed, and her head again pressed against Tom-Cat. 

ReplyQuote
Lassroyale
(@lassroyale)
Journey starter  

TOM CAT

A Felonious Feline 

╺ ✽ ╸ 

“An animal takes freely anything that it wishes: it commits no sin and is not held responsible for its action because it knows no better. But as soon as the idea of 'mine' and 'thine' has been imprinted upon our consciousness, then also the responsibility comes” - Max Heindel

╺ ✽ ╸ 

There’s a story that Tom-Cat once heard, that he’s never forgotten. 

It was a strange and esoteric tale about a girl that was a spiral.  Just as a spiral’s very shape mesmerized and drew the eye with radial curves straight to its apex, the girl drew people endlessly into her orbit.  In the story, people were pulled by some overpowering force into her winding middle.  They were helpless to do anything but fall further and further into her unending center, until they suddenly found themselves forever caught in dizzy curves and endless loops and were consumed.  It was simply her nature.  In the end, like the collapse of a black hole, the girl was destined to be devoured by that very same nature, twisting into her own center until she simply ceased to be.  

If there was a lesson to the tale, he’s forgotten it, but the story has stuck with him, nonetheless.

The Aeros, Tom-Cat thinks, is like that girl.  The Aeros, Tom-Cat thinks, is a spiral.  

Or at least something close to it, because as soon as Miiya opens her eyes and stares up at him, he feels something within him pull towards her.  It doesn’t matter that her gaze is unfocused and heavy under the blanket of sleep, because the words that slip from her lips are nakedly honest; a subliminal plea that bypasses his higher mind and speaks to some deeper, inscrutable part of him.  When she sighs out her soft entreaty, he finds himself falling towards something, caught in the spiralling paths of her twisting labyrinth.

Save me…

And just like that, everything in Tom-Cat’s world comes to a stuttering halt.  His heart thuds in his chest as he looks down into Miiya’s upturned face.  He’s never seen her eyes this close up; they’re a chestnut brown with flecks of gold near the irises.  And they’re heartbreakingly sincere, even in sleep.  Though she’d only breathed out the words, they echo through the silence, loud in his ears. 

Save me…

The shape of her words carves out a hollow in his mind.  They tattoo themselves onto the folds and dig beneath the surface of his thoughts.   Tom-Cat feels almost stricken as he continues to look into Miiya’s  unfocused gaze, his own eyes wide with shock and growing awareness.  And he glimpses something in her brown-gold irises, something innate and unaware that stretches up from the depths of her sleep-heavy gaze and instinctively reaches for him, seeking him, before her eyes slip shut and she rests her head on his chest, falling back into a peaceful sleep.  Something that’s wonderful and unimaginable and terrifying, all at once; something that makes a masochistic thread of impossible hope wind through him.  

He’s gripped by an odd sense of serendipity, as if this is how it had always been, always would be, and always should be. 

This is how it will always be.

It will always end like this.

There’s a twist and click in the back of his mind.  It’s as if a puzzle with pieces that he didn’t know were out of place, had suddenly become correctly aligned.  It’s an overall sense of something out of phase being brought into sync, like a dislocated shoulder shoved back into its socket.  There was a final tilt and then a shift-CLICK! and like a trophic cascade, everything begins to fall into place, a domino effect of impulses, instincts, and moments that now make perfect sense.

Tom-Cat’s mind is racing, fear, disbelief, and awe warring inside him as he thinks back to everything having to do with the Aeros.  Every confusing feeling and every impulse that opposes his instincts. All the little tugs and pushes on his mind that make him want to comfort her, protect her.   The intense, almost helpless physical reaction he has to her.  He realizes that everything that’s plagued him and the conflict of his emotions surrounding her, all stems from a single catalyst: the moment he pounced and pinned Miiya beneath him on that dark stretch of beach in Kiana.

Imprint.

He’s imprinted on her. 

With that first pounce that now seems so distant, he imprinted on the Aeros.  

Kwesh…” he breathes, feeling something tighten in his chest.  What--?! How? Why her?? How could he even imprint on someone who’s biology was so different from his own? Who was so different from him? It’s impossible, it can’t be right… It just can’t be, because if it is, if it's true and he’s imprinted on her, it means that something in his biology recognizes her as a potential mate.  And not just a mate, but a true mate; a conceivable ideal match.

It’s rare for Shifters and, ugh, weres, to ever find a true mate and imprint automatically.  Even with the  possibility of more than one ideal match (there’s no such thing as a “perfect” match; only one that offers a high probability for a successful pairing), it’s an exceedingly rare occurrence for a Shifter.  Those who’ve been fortunate enough to find one of their ideal matches, usually consider themselves lucky.  Their eventual mate bond is typically seen as something to be cherished. 

All Tom-Cat feels is dread, denial, and that creeping sense of self-loathing that’s always present, wash over him like a deluge of fear, panic, and stupid, pathetic yearning.

He can’t consider it, he shouldn’t. He won’t let himself consider a bond, a mate, because ultimately?  Tom-Cat knows what he is; he knows how sullied he is, how broken.  And he’s always told himself that he won’t be the kind of person who lets someone else break on his jagged edges.  Period.  He will never let anyone, can’t let anyone get that close; close enough to see the scars (the unseen ones; the ones that can’t be viewed, touched, or soothed beneath the heat of one’s palms), so many scars, gnarled and uneven below his skin...  He can't won’t  let anyone get close enough to see them -- to see how ugly he isHe won’t be like that. 

And yet… 

The longer he stares down at Miiya, his mind reeling and feeling stunned, scared, and wonder-struck, the further her words, those two words, sink down and cement themselves into the fabric of his thoughts.  The longer he watches her sleep, resting firmly against him and dreaming peacefully without the lines of tension or terror creasing her features, the more he feels his resolve crumbling. 

Save me…

He’s conflicted by the ease in which the words carve a space in his mind; conflicted by how easily he lets them.  He wonders what it would be like to let himself be weak.  He wonders what it would be like to care for someone, to be strong for someone other than himself.  In turn, he wonders what it would be like to allow another to take his strength for safekeeping.  He wonders what it would be like letting someone else be strong for them both.  He wonders, but he can never act on it.  He might imagine it, envy it in others, but he doesn’t let himself want it.  He can’t let himself want it...consider it.

Some days, it’s easier than others.  Sometimes, like now, the craving for connection makes all the barriers he’s built up feel like they’re made of nothing but paper.

And the thing is,  he wants to be weak.  Even if it’s only for a moment, even if it's delusional to let himself want it, he still does.  He wants it.  It’s as simple as that, and twice as complex for its simplicity.   And he hates himself for it.  Imprinting isn’t a fully fledged  mate-bond; not yet, at least.  It is the promise of a bond, of a profound connection with another person, with a mate.  It’s the indication of what the imprint could be, the promise of what it could become, if the imprint is nurtured and allowed to grow.  Right now, the imprint is only a nascent bond; it can be fed and grown into something significant and meaningful, but it would always be a shadow of what it has the potential to be unless he gave her an actual mate mark.  

A mate mark.  A mate. That’s a type of commitment that Tom-Cat can scarcely comprehend, let alone consider.  Not right now.  He’s overwhelmed by just the prospect of it, even as something in his biology rears up with the intense urge to do just that: bite her, mark her.  It whispers that they’ve already imprinted on one another; she’s already his, so put your mark on her, before someone else does.  He pulls back sharply from the thought, from the instinct, his heart hammering.  He can’t; he won’t.  He won’t be one of those people.  And yet...what if? 

Save me…

He won’t consider a mate mark.  He can’t.  He shouldn’t.  He wants to can’t won’t give her a mark, but he can play pretend and try to be a good mate.  He can be a source of comfort for her.  He can allow himself to pretend, to be weak - at least for a little while.  He doesn’t know why he’s imprinted on her, why something in his biology chose her out of all people, but maybe there’s a reason.  Maybe there’s something he’s not seeing, not allowing himself to see...it really doesn’t matter.  It’s just for a while, for just a night.  He’s never had something that was just for him, something unique that was his alone, and he ultimately won’t let himself have this, but he wants to be selfish, just for a little while.  One night.  He can comfort her and indulge in the imprint, in the bond, at the same time.  

Save me…

He can do that.

At least for a while.

At least for a night. 

Tom-Cat is an impulsive being, through and through, but it’s with careful deliberation that he leans down towards Miiya and tilts up her chin.  He doesn’t mean to close his eyes, but they fall shut anyway, as he places a soft, chaste kiss on her unresisting lips.  And even though she’ll never know, she will never remember it, and he will never tell her, in that moment Tom-Cat makes a promise to her: the promise that he would gather the shattered fragments of Miiya’s grief-stricken soul - every last sad, bruised, and broken piece - and hold them within himself for safekeeping.  

He would save her.

At least for a while.

At least for one night. 

He tucks her back against his chest and rests his chin atop her damp head.  He lets go of her wings and stretches a bit, settling his arms around her a bit more comfortably.  It feels natural to curve a palm around the back of her head, tangle his fingers in the short strands, and so he does.  His other hand rests lightly on her hip, before he rolls his shoulder with a satisfying crack that makes him go a bit boneless against her.  He sighs as he settles in, sliding his arm around her waist, absently counting her vertebrae with his fingers as he unconsciously grazed them along her spine, up then down.  For the first time in days, his thoughts weren’t a blur in his mind, slowing and taking on a formless, shapeless texture.  He couldn’t grasp any single thought and hold onto it as he felt himself be pulled deeper into relaxation.  He feels strangely at peace and at ease in someone else’s presence for the first time in a long time.  Since he was little, very little, when he still believed that monsters were the ones under your bed.

The bond thrummed with deep-seated contentment, conveying a sense of safety and security.

Maybe it was exhaustion finally catching up to him combined with the stress of the last few days, but gradually, Tom-Cat’s hand slows stroking a path along Miiya’s spine, his body going limp as drowsiness made it harder and harder to keep his eyes open.  His eyes slip shut and for a while, he dreams.  He's in a winding labyrinth, walking along the spiralling pathway as it twists down towards its heart.  Something he can't see but can hear and feel, calls to him, beckons him, draws him inexorably forward. The sound of its voice is like being wrapped up in a warm towel and a caring embrace, after hours of being caught in the rain. He's trapped, lost in the wandering spiral, and for the first time he doesn't care. He doesn't want to find his way out.

Tom-Cat smiles faintly in his sleep and he begins to purr, as he slips deeper into the first truly quiet, safe, and peaceful rest he’s had in a long, long, time.

───────────
───────────
──────────────────

Irihi liked
ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble

Miiya

This time no Watcher reappeared to rip her from the sky. For the first night since her injury, the Aeros girl did not struggle, kick, or scream herself awake. She slept peacefully until the luminance of the strange minerals and lichens of the Underneath--buried far beneath the translucent glacier--gently brightened into another morning of the Sunless Lands.

Miiya's eyes opened slowly, gently, without so much as a muscle twitch to give away her return to the waking world. 

Oh. Tseert.

She was ensconced in someone's arms. When had that happened? She did not remember falling upon the ice, and no trace of her nighttime dreams remained. She could remember the hopelessness exhaustion of the previous days, of throwing herself from the cliff in a futile bid to fly again, of water and confusion and sodden cold salvation, of screaming at Tom-Cat in her despair and desperation. 

She had no memory of ripping out her feathers or of calling for her mother while she was freezing to death. Even what had come before that felt like a dream--no, a nightmare--now. She was warm. She was dry. She was--

--back to her "oh tseert" moment, because she was cuddling with some stranger like they were lo... 

It was Tom-Cat. 

Or his brother or something. 

He's a boy! Miiya thought, incredulously. 

Not really a boy, but certainly only just past the cusp of manhood, if even that. He's almost my age! Miiya could hardly believe her eyes. What had happened to the looming lavcivious man stalking outside her door, casually trading barbs about her with that Drow arfline, stroking her feathers and twining his tail around her waist with hands still bearing the stain of murder? 

In the ensuing days, she had built a mask around Tom-Cat, stretched his bones so that he towered over her (I mean, he did), reddened his khol-rimmed eyes, sharpened his fangs and claws and words so that he was just another fearsome beast (I mean, he was), upon which she dared not look. What magick had the peace of sleep wrought, to turn that monster back into a boy.

The real question, which she lacked the experience to ask, was what happened to this boy, to make that--at least her skewed perception of--his waking self. Miiya, long under the care of her overbearing mother and overprotective brother, and short on experience in the knife-edged world, had trouble enough wrapping her mind around the existence of such monsters, let alone that they--that he--could be anything but. 

And he had saved her. This she remembered now. For that great hard goiter of her maiming-- the chest-lodged pain she couldn't scream out that night on the beach, or vomit up after those long soul-crushing days of blanketing depression in her room, or dream-chip away during those hellish nights trapped inside her fragmenting mind--it had not gone, but it had dissolved a little. 

Not all around her were emotionless black nightmares of blades and death. Not every one of her companions was a heartless deciever who would see her dissolved in a pool of death or crushed at the bottome of a sharp-rocked cliff. This one had pulled her from starmetal-blade death, had kept her from dashing upon the rocks, had warmed away frigid death and held tight against shattering nightmares. This one was a... friend?  

A beautiful boy of a friend. If fear had driven her surrupticious glances before, something else, entirely, now drove her flightly gaze to not linger too long on this so... much... person with which she found herself entwined.

Did anyth--no, I would remember, right?

Now what?

Don't stare. She told herself, as if he might feel the intensity of her gaze, which was now boring a hole in the ice just a few degrees up from where neck met shoulder. There was a lot going on in her perphiry, but she dared not look at anything besides his slightly parted lips where she could

Miiya forced her gaze to unfocus. It wasn't hard as she gave rein to her imagination. He's right there. It would feel like

Wait! That I could do. 

Miiya placed her teeth upon her lower lip and tried to control her breathing. Ever so slowly, she stretched out her undamaged wing. Don't wake him! 

It's fine. She told herself. He wouldn't know what it means, anyway. He'd think it's just for warmth.

As slowly and gently as she could manage, Miiya folded her wing over the two of them. settling it lightly over Tom-Cat's shoulder, her feathers barely brushing his cheek. She closed her eyes and teeth dug a little deeper into her lip as an electric thrill raised every bit of gooseflesh she had. She had NEVER done this with ANYONE, and only even heard about it from the girls in the Redoubt. 

The heat, the sense of Tom-Cat's body was stenciled upon her mind in too-intense relief. She opened her unfocused eyes. Every sensitive nerve with which she read the air, now explored the sensation of their huddled forms and intertwined limbs beneath her wing.

Wow. 

I like this.

A lot.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: