Today is of the Cycle Of The Seventh Moon.
Current Season & Month:  , Year: 543 A.R. (ref)

The Northern Cliffs

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Northern Cliffs

Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble
Journey starter  

The Northern Cliffs

Here, the Mountains fall away into the waters north of Aerie. Steep and jagged walls of bare rock hide sparse meadowlands where wild goats graze and shelter when storms and changing seasons drive them down from the mountains.

Where the land is flatter, the soil is thin and stoney. There is a constant roaring and cracking booms from the waves of the sea beating against the tall cliffs. Seabirds ride the northerly winds rushing upslope from the sea to the peaks of the Mountains Ethereal.

Journey Tags
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble
Journey starter  

Within the Aether Hermitage

A stone dwelling rests on a rock-strewn clifftop field. It is surrounded by modest garden plots. A stream from a mountain cataract runs by it before plunging off the cliffs at the edge of the field. 

Only an experienced and determined climber  could reach this place on foot.

OOC: Avonox Aether

Avonox felt something clench within his chest as he met the defiant stare of the girl standing before him. He barely knew the child--even less than he knew the son who was ensorcelled and dying in the next room. Sen had kept them so well hidden from him, for reasons he could not guess, that he had only learned of their existence three years ago, when Cahron had tracked him to Quoqta's old hermitage.

Now his children might both perish, while sky-folded Sen faced some unknown threat. The family Avonox never knew he had, wiped out almost in the same moment he discovered them. He could have... were it not for The Staff imprisoning him here... Avonox realized he was standing with teeth silently gritted. Spiraling downward into despair would solve nothing. There was one flightpath. His daughter saw it, what could he do but follow in formation?
"If yew are determined to go, then I will lift with yew." Miiya could not, but Avonox might be able to carry enough of the Freet to keep her fueled and hydrated enough to stay at altitude until the jetstream could carry her to Aniada.

ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble
Journey starter  

OOC: Miiya Aether

Miiya stepped down from the balance where Avonox had measured her and her cargo. Six stone plus one, give or take, for loading. Yes, she was too light, but their calculations had been conservative, and she was so close...

They had already argued the point. They could not wait for her Aunt, and Miiya was not going to sit here while her brother was consumed by the curse. No matter how much her father argued, he could no more hold her here than he could the wind.

Now it was Miiya's turn to shake her head. "Yew are too old." She replied, rather mercilessly. "Besides, if yew crash, there's no one to look after Cah."

Though she turned her head, her hair was too short-cropped to hide the smile she couldn't fight. He'll fly with me. I can do this!

ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble
Journey starter  

OOC: Avonox

"Do not read my sky, daughter." Avonox could not help but smile as well. "We will both do all we can to save Cahron." So saying, he turned to the abode's humble stone stove.

He had built it after the one he had seen during his first encounter with Sen; after breaking his vow to Aka-Aar; back when he thought he might still bring her here.

While Miiya nearly bubbled with excitement, the elder Aeros tried to keep her focused on the essential. Calm. Eat. Rest. "Tomorrow we ride the storm."

ReplyQuote
Irihi
(@irihi)
Villainess Noble
Journey starter  

OOC: Miiya

Her father's words still echoed in her head as she stood beside him, facing downslope into the rising gale. I really might die. It had been an abstract concept ever since she had visited the Jade Oracle, but now it was very real and present. An entire ocean of frigid watery death churned between her and Aniada. It had been overflown by Aeros before, but as many had failed as had succeeded.

Miiya felt a hand on her shoulder. She listened to Avonox's words, watched him shake his head. In reply, she pulled on her helmet and tightened the chin strap. "I know. I'm going anyway. I can do this!" She did have one question, though. "How are you going to give me the Freet?" She asked, shouting to be heard over the howling wind. Her satchels were strapped across her torso. Transferring anything mid-flight would be next to impossible at altitude, as no Aeros alive could hover or fly inverted in the rarified air above the clouds. Opening, passing, and re-securing cargo would cost them thousands of feet in altitude. She listened to her father's response, then folded her wings. "Okay. Now what?"

Miiya felt a tug on her flight harnesses. It was raining hard now, with sheets of clouds and mist whipping up and over the edges of the high meadow where the Aether hermitage lay. Avonox said something into her ear. "No, wait! Yew can't!" Then there was the sound of wings snapping open and they were airborne, blowing upslope like a leaf in the great gale.

Miiya didn't bother protesting further. Even if Avonox could hear her over the roaring of the storm winds, he couldn't have made a reply. She tucked her wings in tight as rain and sleet beaded on her high altitude gear and rolled off her feathers. Keep warm. Stay dry. Keep still. Her father had said. Your part begins once we break storm's top.

Even with rain-sodden wings and an eight-stone cargo, riding the great river of air rushing up to the heights of the Mountains Ethereal was not such a difficult task for Avonox. The old injury at his left wing root creaked and twinged with the violent whirlwinds and gusts, but the elder Aeros was an experienced stormbreaker, and he navigated past the familiar crags easily, though they now lay hidden in the thunderheads towering over the mountains.

(OOC: To the Skies Above the Mountains Ethereal)

ReplyQuote
Share: