Today is of the Cycle Of The Seventh Moon.
Current Season & Month:  , Year: 543 A.R. (ref)

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Down River from Straith

Page 1 / 3

Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Talan fought and struggled in the bubble, he was going to die, surely, drown in the river and look like a bloated corpse he once had seen down by the docks in Haven. He could not see the Lady and that scared him more.

Then he suddenly in broke the surface and the woman pulled him to the shallows.  They were in a clearing, the river ran through it. Deradith pulled him onto the grass and then turned back and hoisted the sodden wolf who still carried the Jackdaw to lie beside the boy.

Hawkeye dropped the bird onto the grass and stood and shook himself, spraying water everywhere. He felt wrong inside and sank back onto the grass again, breathing heavily.

Talan rolled onto his side, shivering and looked at his wolf friend.

”Hey old boy.” He whispered.

Hawkeye whined and Deradith kneeled down and touched him.

”You bit her didn’t you!” She stroked his fur.

”The Tear will dilute the poison Hawkeye, but you must rest my friend.”

Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Talan rose and started to strip off his wringing wet tunic and laid it out on the grass to dry. He turned to the Lady and folded his arms across his bare chest.

”Time for answers, what are you?” He said firmly.

Deradith looked up from where she was spreading out the Jackdaw’s wings to dry.

”I am a Daughter of the Ahvinn. We have many names in history, but you can call me Deradith.”

She turned her attention back to Hawkeye and stroked his fur and leaned down to kiss the wolf’s damp head.

”Biting Wenders is not good, you know that Hawkeye, their very blood is foul, like their nature. You will heal but it will take some time.”

Talan came round to confront the Lady again.

”What did that thing want?”

Deradith  looked up at the half clad lad, he was a handsome boy, but so unaware of what he was.

”She wanted you, she would have consumed you and your power and likely worn your bones too.”

Talan paled a little.

”You were lucky we were all there to save you.” Deradith said sharply as she turned back to her wolf and avian friends.

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

The Jackdaw 

The Jackdaw’s sharp and tiny mind struggled to make sense of what happened. He had bounced off Hat of Bones, nearly breaking his neck; he was almost eaten by the Three Legged Dog [and almost expired from the its breath!], swallowed the honey colored bead… and nearly choked on it. Then his tummy felt strange and light came out of his mouth.  Then the Dog tried to drown him.

All in all, it was not the best day he could remember.

The worst part: he’d abandoned his cache of treasure. Now he would never see his pretty silver and blue and orange bits again. It was soul-crushing.

At least the River Lady was here. He quorked softly, losing a little water.  

Duilliath Suilleach Seanake, Fool and the Traveler Who Lost a Kingdom

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Hawkeye laid his head down between his forelegs and closed his good eye.  He could feel it inside, the Wender poison, not as bad as it had been. Deradith’s kiss and the Tear were diluting and fighting it. 
He wondered as he dozed what the stupid bird had done when the beam had shot from its mouth.  That had been odd, the Wender had not liked it or pursued them.

He felt Talan sit down next to him and stroke his fur, it was strangely soothing.

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Deradith watched the boy and the wolf and she sigh softly. The boy was naive and did not understand his power. She turned to the wing spread resting Jackdaw. 
“I am sorry your hoarde is inaccessible for the moment old friend.” She said stroking his small head.

”T’was fine indeed, but I have something to make up for it, start a new one.”

She dropped a small sparkly green stone before the bird, it caught the fading sunlight and twinkled enticingly.

”It comes from the bottom of the Ahvinn, one of my own precious things….but it is yours.”

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Once she had finished with the Jackdaw, Deradith went to the lad and took him from Hawkeye’s side.

”Let him sleep, you and I need to talk.”

She led him to a spot by the the riverside and sat, she looked at the boy with serious blue eyes.

”You know my name…I don’t know yours?” She started.

Talan sat and gazed over towards the wolf.

”Talan.” He said, focussed more on the sleeping canine than the woman.

”Well Talan, you will listen to to me and listen well.” She snapped gaining his attention with the tone.

”She will not stop coming, she wants you, your blood and yours bones and you need to be prepared.”

Talan scowled.

”Well she cannot have my blood and bones, stupid big cat!”

Deradith rolled her eyes and fought back the urge to give him a clip round the ear.

”You need to get those manacles off, that collar too, they hinder your ability, though you can push through it, you lit the fire, unhindered would be better.”

Talan clenched his fists.

”Sure, I could match her and we could all go and have tea and cakes after!” He said sarcastically.

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

The Jackdaw 

The Jackdaw jumped from the ground onto a rock nearby. It worried for his lost treasure, but rolled the new little stone around for a while and tucked it into his feathers.  He tucked his beak under his wing and he closed his eyes.  The bird opened its right eye slightly to watch for danger.

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

The nearby river started to move a little more furiously and Deradith’s eyes shone a deeper blue in their anger.

”You coward…you would not even attempt to protect yourself, you would expect us to do it all for you!”

She stood and stalked back to the river, this time diving in and vanishing.

”HEY!” Talan shouted angrily.

”I am not a coward!” He trailed off.

Hawkeye opened his good eye briefly and gave a short terse bark and went back to sleep.

Talan sat there alone in the dusky light.

”I am no match for that thing….I am not.” He said quietly.

He looked at the manacles, the lock was a simple one, he could have picked it a hundred times over if he had actually tried. He had kept them on to suppress the fire, afraid of it…afraid of people thinking he was a freak.  

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

Quite suddenly, a tiny ripple seemed to pass underfoot; pushing the faintest of sounds.

Some major sorcererous discharge has occurred… and from the feel of it, some ways to the north in the direction of Straith.  Those who knew, would know this for Wender magic.

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Hawkeye lifted his head at the ripple and growled. Talan felt it too and he knew he had to try to work now.  He picked up a sturdy thin stick and started on the first manacle, after a lot of fiddling there was a soft ‘snick’ and the cuff fell to the ground. The second fell much quicker and he felt the flame inside surge.  The collar was much more difficult, but eventually if came off. He felt the magic swell through his blood and bones.

Deradith watched from within the Ahvinn, her disappearance and anger had pushed the boy to act.  There was strength in him, he just needed to realise it.

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

The Jackdaw 

He opened one eye, then the other. “Wizard boy, Hat of Bones comes.”

”She comes to crack bones and drink their marrow!”

The Jackdaw was only a little fellow and he was sorely afraid.  His tummy started to feel funny again.

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Talan stared at the bird, with panic in his eyes.

”What already?”

The magic in his bones was scalding already, but the fire had always been unpredictable, not coming when summoned. He wasn’t sure what to do.

”Deradith!” He called out to the River.

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

Posted by: @talan

What already?”

The Jackdaw

"They always know.  They always come. They are... inescapable." He seemed sad, and a little sick. 

"The Hat of Bones eats magic."

The bird sort of shrugged. "When they come, they will eat the wizard and the Three Legged Dog and catch the Jackdaw."  He shook his feathers and shivered.  "The Jackdaw can't fight The Hat of Bones. Too strong. Too fast.  Too... hungry."

ReplyQuote
Talan
(@talan)
Citizen Citizen
Journey starter  

Deradith stepped onto the bank and regarded the trio.

”Talan, you will need to set a trap, blast her, catch her unaware, can you summon enough fire to do that?”

Talan chewed his lip nervously.

”I don’t know, never tried, I am scared of it.”

Deradith came and it her arms about him in an embrace and kissed his forehead, his skin was very warm.

”Now is the time to be brave. We will use Hawkeye and Jackdaw as bait.” She said softly.

She reached down and stroked the bird’s feathers.

”Do this for me little friend and I’ll find you treasures untold.” She said gently.

The wolf sat up and gave a short bark.

”I know old one, but you bit her and she’ll want you for that…As she comes, I’ll confront her and then Talan can unleash the fire at her from where he is hiding.”

ReplyQuote
Duilliath
(@duilliath)
Citizen Noble

OOC:  The Lady of Bones, arriving from the Abandoned Village Ruins along the Ahvinn

The Wender launched herself into the Hunt. She raised her bone staff and sent out a shrieking blast and howl of sound and furious wind.  The shockwave emanated in a cone, sending a blast of air and sound through the woods and the clearing where the prey cowered.

It was enough force to move limbs, leaves and rocks... blasting over the entire area. She laughed and laughed... "You can't hide!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: