After the defeat of the Dark Underlord these "dark elvenfolk" or drow, who were held high in the Underlord's esteem due to their high intelligence and cunning, grew strong in the arcane arts over the centuries and content with their gloomy fairyland beneath the earth, though they still bear enmity towards and seek revenge against their distant kin, the elves and faeries who drove them down.
They are described as black-skinned and pale haired in appearance, around 5-feet tall and slight of build with somewhat sharp features, with large eyes and large pointed ears. Their equipment (magical boots and cloaks, and fine mesh armor similar to chainmail) is black in color.
Females are inherently more powerful than males, and only females may be clerics or fighter/clerics; male drow are commonly fighters, magickers, or both classes at once. Drow move silently and with a graceful quickness, even when wearing their armor, and blend into shadows with ease. They carry long daggers and short swords and small one-handed crossbows which shoot darts carrying a poison that causes unconsciousness.
Drow are difficult to surprise as they are able to see very well in the dark, have an intuitive sense about their underground world similar to that of dwarves, and can detect hidden or secret doors as easily as other elves do. Drow are highly resistant to magick, while all drow have the ability to use some inherent magical abilities even if they are not strictly spellcasters.
They dislike daylight and other forms of bright light as it hampers their abilities, prolonged exposure to sun will weaken them.
-- transcribed from a burned page of the almost completely destroyed, Ancient Tome of Knowing
Yin’xir Xus’sten Yochlol
Status: NPC of the “Help Less” Quest
Alignment: Chaotic Good
- Myrae’s vocal chords were damaged in the Battle of Kiana. She is limited in her spellcraft by which songs of evocation she can still sing without causing herself further injury.
- Though years of dwelling on the surface have made her accustomed to the sun, she is still sensitive to bright light.
- Despite being unfailingly loyal, Myrae has been excommunicated as a traitorous heretic by the followers of Loth, for purposefully preventing the retrieval of The Weapon of the Mad King. She is hunted by the Mother Church and is at risk in Botherel, the Underneath, and anywhere the Sisters of her order are found.
- Myrae is an excellent intelligence agent. She utilizes her attractive features, her subtle spellcraft, and her powers of persuasion to ingratiate herself to people and organizations she wishes to infiltrate.
- She is a strong fighter with a good command of both combat magicks and physical martial skills. She is quite adept with her short sword and a number of other bladed weapons.
Myrae is a shapely drow woman with the typical junoesque stature of the warriors of her race. She possesses striking red eyes and albino hair common to the peoples of the Underneath. She often uses magick to subtly alter her appearance to aid in her goals such as infiltration or seduction.
Myrae has worked as a spy of Botherel for decades. She was instrumental in a number of campaigns of The Mother Church as it expanded its influence in the surface worlde. She has certain predilections which do not well dispose her toward life in the Underneath, and over the years she has developed a stronger connection with the surface than the sunless lands of her birth.
During the War for the Weapon of the Mad King, Myrae thwarted her fellow agents of Botherel from capturing an ancient artefact, believing that the weapon was too dangerous to be managed. She killed a sister of her order and delivered the artefact into the hands of the enemies of the church.
For her betrayal, Myrae has been excommunicated by the followers of Loth and sentenced to death in absentia. She is at constant risk of assassination from member of her order who recognize her.